NAC News – Edition 392
Your weekly national and international naval news for the week of January 15th, 2021
Edition – 392 “There is a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and much less prevalent.” General George S. Patton, Jr.: War As I Knew It, 1947
Rod Hughes – Editor NAC News firstname.lastname@example.org (comments welcome to help improve this service)
Contact David Soule email@example.com if you wish someone (who may be a member or perhaps a good candidate to join) to be added to the NAC News email distribution.
★ Editor’s stars of the week
Keep in touch with the NAC
If you are receiving NAC News consider joining NAC – Membership and Renewal
Should you wish to donate or leave a memorial – NAC Endowment Fund
NAC reference to assist veterans and/or seniors is located at Veteran’s Corner
Keep in touch with the RCN
LinkedIn – RoyalCanadianNavy-MarineRoyaleCanadienne
- Wednesday 20 Jan 2021 – RUSI(NS) – Distinguished Speaker (Zoom event) 2021 – “Against Daesh, and for the World Order“: An Update on Operation IMPACT in the COVID-19 Era. MGen St-Louis recently served as Cdr JTF-IMPACT, the largest joint force deployed by Canada that provides the Kuwaiti National Command and Control Element to CAF capacity-building efforts in Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan. The General will provide us with an update on the region, the threat level, and the CAF contribution to the Global Coalition to weaken and defeat Daesh in Iraq and Syria. No cost to participate but registration is required: email RUSINovaScotia@gmail.com by close of business Sunday, 17 January. Use Subject line: RUSI(NS) Distinguished Speaker 20 January 2021 Registration. Your name and your organization is required in the message text.
- Note: From your Executive Director – NAC National Update Jan 2021 email sent 14 Jan 2021 said that Jacques Gauvin retired as a Commodore. This was an error – Jacques retired from the CAF/RCN as a Rear-Admiral.
- Royal Canadian Navy welcomes new Commander
- Farewell message from General Vance to the members of the Canadian Armed Forces
- A sea change: Canada’s new top military commander apologizes to victims of racism
- Trudeau Shuffles Cabinet In Wake Of Navdeep Bains’ Resignation (Editor – Former Naval Officer and Astronaut Marc Garneau takes over Foreign Affairs Minister)
- NAC Ottawa Speaker’s Evening with Capt (RCN) Todd Bonnar held 11 January 2021 (Editor – for those that missed it a 46:42 min video recording and associated slide deck)
- RCN Presentation – CSC: The Single Class Combatant Solution “Operationally focused, value conscious, and technology-enabled” was given by Captain (RCN) Christopher Nucci, Director Naval Strategy, on 12 January. This is the slides from the presentation, with a video following.
- HMCS Halifax departs for six-month Operation Reassurance deployment
- HMCS Vancouver nears return to readiness
- HMCS Moncton Change of Command
- Canada’s mission in Middle East at crossroads as ISIS declines, new threats emerge
- Proud Boys confrontation was wake-up call about military racism, hate: Defence chief
- Assessing the US Navy’s Arctic Blueprint
- Canada’s New Arctic Drone in Context
- Canadian naval operations in Korean waters 1950 – 1955 (Editor – DND official history in this 170-page book)
- Canadian Naval Review Vol. 16, No. 3 (2021) – Preview (Editor – consider subscribing)
- Canadian Coast Guard Begins Icebreaking on the Great Lakes
- Oldest Veteran in Canada receives second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine – from another Vet
- Federal support dollars reach hundreds of Legion Branches
- The Bedford Range turns 80 (Editor – still a critical readiness facility today)
- New monument outside BC Aviation Museum honours fallen pilot
- TSB says ‘misinterpretation of navigational information’ led to vessel crash in B.C.
- Canada’s Bletchley Park
- Squabbling over Vancouver Island
USA & AMERICAS
- USNI News Fleet and Marine Tracker: Jan. 11, 2021
- USNI News 2020 Fleet and Marine Review (Editor – cool interactive deployment map)
- US lawmakers call for Navy to get greater slice of budget pie
- Message from Joint Chiefs on U.S. Capitol Riot
- Carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower Underway Ahead of Double-Pump Deployment
- UPDATED: Adm. Grady: Redesignation to Atlantic Fleet May Have Implications for Homeland Defense Mission
- Navy’s Priciest Carrier Ever Struggles to Get Jets On, Off Deck
- GAO: Design Delays on Columbia Sub Program Leading to Construction Delays, Cost Increases
- Overview of Future Large Surface Combatant (DDG Next) Program (Editor – Ticonderoga replacement)
- China Voices Objections to U.S.-Taiwan Military Talks
- ★ What Got Us Here Won’t Get Us There (Editor – food for thought, and listen to this thought-provoking podcast that explains the people points in more detail)
- ★ Proceedings Podcast Episode 201 – SWO Boss Speaks! (Editor – 39:18 min podcast)
- CNO Releases Navigation Plan 2021
- Institute for Security Policy at Kiel University (ISPK): The Americas Series (Editor – interesting series of virtual presentations)
- Schultz: Nuclear Icebreakers Are Not An Option for Coast Guard
- Here’s the US Navy’s plan to stop its string of shipbuilding failures
- Here’s the latest on the US Navy’s new Constellation-class frigate
- General Dynamics NASSCO Launches U.S. Navy’s First John Lewis-class Fleet Oiler, Future USNS John Lewis
- ★ Lockheed Martin delivers HELIOS system to US Navy for testing, integration
- Here Comes the New CH-53K King Stallion (The Marines’ Expensive Helicopter) (Editor – impressive “new” helicopter explained in this 8:01 min video)
- The Navy Needs More Firepower
- Mass Produced Destroyer – USS Arleigh Burke #shorts (Editor – 59 sec video)
- First Few New USN Frigates to Have Single Crews
- U.S. Navy Launches Community College for Sailors and Coast Guardsmen (Editor – never wrong investing in your people) and SWO Boss: Pilot Programs for Training, Manning Will Lead to More Experienced Fleet
- For Surface Warfare Officers, It’s All About Command
- Surface Navy 2021: USN works to equip Zumwalt destroyers with conventional prompt strike weapon
- US Navy’s unmanned vessel sails through transit test, takes part in Dawn Blitz
- Navy Envisions Containerized Weapon System to Arm Amphibious Ships
- VT Halter Prepares for Construction of Polar Security Cutter
- New Counter-Drone Strategy Calls for ‘Holistic’ Approach Across Services
- Colombian Navy commissions ARC Almirante Tono Pohang-class corvette donated by South Korea
- Two Weeks Into Maiden Voyage, USCGC Stone Pauses for a Drug Bust
- LNG Carrier Bottleneck at Panama Canal Could Last Until March
- US Ramps Up Fight Against Illegal Fishing
- ‘Global Britain’ takes aim at China in South China Sea
- China, Indonesia on a collision course at sea
- Beijing steps up naval shipbuilding program with eyes on global navy
- Kim Jong-un pledges to expand North Korea’s nuclear arsenal and North Korea developing nuclear-powered submarine, tactical nuclear missiles, says Kim Jong-un and North Korea unveils new submarine-launched missile
- ASW Exercise Sea Dragon 2021 Kicked Off With US Navy, RAAF, RCAF, Indian Navy and JMSDF (Editor – note RCAF participation)
- Huge New Chinese Ships Are Made For Ramming
- Six ‘Copter Spots, 20 F-35s, Two Islands—South Korea’s New Flattop Takes Shape
- Second Littoral Mission Ship Sundang Handed Over To Royal Malaysian Navy
- Pakistan Navy Submarines Conducts Successful Live Weapons Firing in North Arabian Sea
- By air and sea: China’s two-pronged strategy to grind Japan down over disputed islands
- Pompeo: US to lift restrictions on contacts with Taiwan
- RAN officers set up history and strategy site Jeune École: Pod & Pen
- Royal Australian Navy Accepts First Supply-Class Replenishment Vessel
- Indonesia’s PT PAL Launches BRS Hospital Ship For TNI AL (Editor – what a great national asset)
- Turkey, Greece to Break Five-Year Negotiations Impasse however Fresh tensions in Eastern Mediterranean after Greek and Turkish coast guard boats collide
- British Maritime Patrol Aircraft fleet busy over North Sea
- French Carrier Strike Group To Deploy To Eastern Mediterranean And Indian Ocean
- Italian Navy Carrier Cavour to Start F-35B Qualification Next Month
- NATO’s 2020 edition of its annual publication, Cutting the Bow Wave (Editor – Capt (RCN) Todd Bonnar of the Combined Joint Operations from the Sea Centre of Excellence pointed this magazine out in his presentation to NAC. The 2021 edition will be published shortly)
- Turkish Navy to receive amphibious assault ship Anadolu, training ship Ufuk and Istanbul-class frigate this year
- Final River-Class Batch 2 OPV ‘HMS Spey’ Commissioned With Royal Navy
- Two Icebreaking LNG Carriers Meet in High Arctic in January
- Elbit Systems UK awarded £123m Royal Navy training contract
- Tech File: 3D Printed Prop for French Warship
- Russian CO Under Investigation for Stealing His Own Ship’s Propellers (Editor – a novel way to supplement your income)
- Seven Men Held After Suspected Oil Tanker Hijacking To Face No Further Criminal Action
- ★ The nuclear lighthouses built by the Soviets in the Arctic (Editor – an OMG 5:24 min video. All sorts of implicatiuons)
- Finland’s Icebreaking Season is Underway
- UK to Use Satellites to Track Ship Emissions
- Cruise Ship Construction Proceeding Despite Continuing Industry Pause
- U.S. Navy Ohio Class Submarine Filmed By Iranian Navy While Submerged
- Egyptian Navy Commissions First Locally Built El Fateh-Class Corvette and a 2:53 min video ENS Al Galala (FFG 1002) FREMM Frigate built by Fincantieri Joins Egyptian Navy
- South Korean Destroyer Is Now Patrolling Near The Strait Of Hormuz After Iran Seizes Tanker and Iran Tells South Korea Not to Politicize Tanker Seizure as it Demands Release of Funds
- Iran Holds Mass Naval Exercise as Talks Over Seized Tanker Begin and Iranian Military Fires Anti-Ship Cruise Missiles during Massive Drills
- Coalition Task Force Conducts Joint Exercise in the Arabian Gulf
- Interpol Issues Red Notices for Ship Captain, Owner Over Beirut Blast
- Russian naval detachment calls at Syria’s Tartus – press service
- CTF-151 and RBNF hold talks to combat piracy in the region
- Update On Iranian Navy Surface-Effect Ship (SES)
- UAE to restore Qatar trade and travel links ‘within a week’ after row ends
- Ship Insurers Primed to Raise Rates After Red Sea Attacks
- ★ Ocean 100: The 100 Companies That Dominate the Ocean Economy
- French Navy’s 2020 Report On Worldwide Maritime Piracy And Robbery
- Gulf of Guinea confirmed as world piracy hotspot
- Gambia’s Largest Cocaine Seizure: Nearly 3 Tons Destined for Europe
- Cruise Lines Continue to Delay Resuming European and American Cruises
- Ship Orders Slump 50% With Owners Unsure Which Green Fuel to Use
- ★ Flower class – Guide 124 Editor – great summary in this 10:05 min video)
- U-Boats of World War 1 – Numbers, Location & How to sink them (Part 1 of 2) (Editor – amazing pics and details in this 1:31:26 hour video) and U-Boats of World War 1 – Who sank what, where & when? (Part 2 of 2) (Editor – 1:07:41 hr)
- The Extraordinary Voyage of the USS Marblehead (Editor – 14:36 video)
SIGNIFICANT RCN DATES – JANUARY
(If you see any omissions or errors please inform me, and more modern significant dates are also welcome. The list draws primarily from the Directory of History and Heritage’s comprehensive “Significant Dates in Canadian Military History”, the now defunct “Canada Channel”, “Legion Magazine”, Roger Litwiller’s excellent website, the encyclopedic guidance of NAC member and author Fraser McKee, and anywhere else I can find credible information.)
- 1 January 1923 The National Defence Act, which was passed in June 1922, takes effect, creating the Department of National Defence.
- 1 January 1907 – Military – British Admiralty provisionally hands over the Halifax Dockyard to Canadian authorities.
- 1 January 1946 The Royal Canadian Naval Reserve and the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve together become the RCN (Reserve). From this date officers of the Regular Force and Reserve wore the same sleeve lace.
- 4 January 1943 HMCS Prince Henry is re-commissioned as Landing Ship Infantry (Medium).
- 4 January 1945 German U-boats torpedo steamship “Polarland” near Halifax; Canadian merchant ship “Nipiwan Park” also sunk by submarine attack.
- 4 January 1781 Royal Navy press gang seizes Lunenburg farmers in Halifax and puts them on a British Man-of-War, in spite of a jury finding that the impressment is illegal.
- 8 January 1944 HMCS Camrose commanded by A/LCDR L. Raymond Pavillard, RCNR, and HMS Bayntun sank the German submarine U-757 in the North Atlantic.
- 9 January 1945 HMCS Ehkoli, a former RCN patrol boat, is re-commissioned in the RCN as a survey vessel.
- 11 January 1957 HMCS Magnificent arrives in Port Said with the main body of the Canadian contribution in troops and materiel to the United Nations Emergency Force controlling the Israeli-Egyptian border.
- 13 January 1943 RCN corvette HMCS Ville de Québec commanded by LCdr A.R.E. Coleman, RCNR sank the German submarine U-224 off Italy.
- 14 January 1952 HMCS Uganda is renamed Quebec.
- 17 January 1957 HMCS Bonaventure is commissioned at Belfast, Northern Ireland. She is the first aircraft carrier to be owned outright by Canada and incorporates several post-war technical developments: an angled deck, mirror landing aid, and steam catapult.
- 19 January 1911 The Royal Naval College of Canada opens in Halifax.
- 19 January 1943 HMCS Port Arthur commanded by Lt Edward T. Simmons, RCNVR sank the Italian Submarine Tritone in the Mediterranean Sea.
- 22 January 1942 The Canadian Naval Board is established.
- 24 January 1932 HMC Ships Skeena and Vancouver land armed parties at Acajutla, El Salvador, to protect British subjects threatened in a revolution.
- 24 January 1946 HMCS Warrior, the RCN’s first aircraft carrier, is commissioned and Nos.803, 825, 826 and 883 Squadrons (already manned by Canadians) are transferred from the Royal Navy.
- 26 January 1955 Cabinet approves the entry of members of the Womens’ Royal Canadian Naval Reserve as members of the RCN Regular Force.
- 29 January 1914 First public parade of RNCVR in Victoria. With ex-RN instructors.
- 30 January 1991 At the Battle of Babiyan a CF-18 Hornet attacks and causes irreparable damage to an Iraqi warship. It was the only CF-18 credited with an official victory during the Gulf War.
- 31 January 1923 The Royal Canadian Naval Reserve and Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve are established.