NAC News – Edition 303 (WW2 K407) HMCS Beacon Hill (Victoria’s namesake of old)
Your weekly national and international naval news for the week of May 3, 2019
Editor NAC News firstname.lastname@example.org(comments welcome to help improve this service)
Contact David Soule email@example.com you wish someone (who may be a member or perhaps a good candidate to join) to be added to the NAC News email distribution.
★ Editor’s stars of the week
Keep in touch with the NAC
If you are receiving NAC News, but are not a member, please consider joining NAC https://www.navalassoc.ca/branches/joining-membership-renewal/
Link to Starshell Magazine https://www.navalassoc.ca/naval-affairs/starshell/
Other Interesting Web Sites https://www.navalassoc.ca/naval-affairs/links/
Archived weekly NAC New Links http://nac-vi.ca/news/
Should you wish to donate – NAC Endowment Fund https://www.navalassoc.ca/national/nac-endowment-fund/
Keep in touch with the RCN
TWITTER @RCN_MRC @Comd_MARPAC @MARPAC @RCN_MARLANT #RCNavy or #MarineRC
YouTube Royal Canadian Navy or Marine royale canadienne
flickr Royal Canadian Navy / Marine royale canadienne
- Here is a listing of Battle of the Atlantic ceremonies in cites with NAC Branches (plus a few) https://www.navalassoc.ca/occasions/
- A place for Hammy Gray (Editor – details drawn from Starshell) A retired RCN sailor Joe Buczkowski felt strongly that we must erect a memorial to Hammy here in Victoria so that young Canadians in the future may know of Hammy Gray’s bravery and sacrifice. The memorial cairn will be black marble with etchings of Hammy and his Corsair aircraft. The memorial will be set in a landscaped area of quiet reflection at a newly designed entrance to the BC Aviation Museum in Sidney, B.C. $25,000 is needed to make the plan a reality. The Naval Association of Canada (NAC) Endowment Fund has donated $2,500. NAC-VI has agreed to accept donations on behalf of the project, and the NAC-VI Treasurer (Diana Dewar) is holding the funds donated to the Lt(N) Hampton (Hammy) Gray Memorial Fund. Should you wish to donate, a cheque should be mailed to the: Naval Association of Canada – Vancouver Island, Box 5221, Victoria BC V8R 6N4. The cheque should be made payable to the NAC-VI and write Lt Gray Memorial on the memo line. Please include a return address as tax receipt and thank you letter will be forwarded.
- GoFundMe for Admiral Norman’s Legal Defence – After 15 months2,928 people have contributed $362,705 towards the $500,000 goal https://ca.gofundme.com/51lc5d4 (Editor – an opinion article MARK BONOKOSKI: Vice-Admiral Mark Norman and the sinking of the HMCS Trudeauhttps://www.capebretonpost.com/opinion/columnists/mark-bonokoski-vice-admiral-mark-norman-and-the-sinking-of-the-hmcs-trudeau-303394/)
- Navy Bike Ride 2019– June 8, 2019 – Ottawa/Gatineau – Check out this fun family event (and yes for the serious racer, there is a competition as well!)
- CANSEC 2019– Canada’s Premier Defence and Security Show – May 29-30 to be held at the EY Exhibition Centre (near Ottawa airport).
- 2019 Maritime Gala Ball– Saturday, June 15, 2019 Hilton Lac Leamy Gatineau QC – This event, supported by the Commander of the RCN and the Commissioner of the CCG, will celebrate the many successes of our Canadian Maritime community. This event will commemorate the past, celebrate the present, and confirm their commitment to the future. Tickets will be on sale early March 2019 so mark your calendars.
- NOABC 100thAnniversary and 2019 NAC Conference–2 – 6 October in Vancouver. Details for travel arrangements and a broad programme overvieww can be found below. A detailed daily schedule is forthcoming. https://www.navalassoc.ca/occasions/noabc-100th-anniversary-and-nac-special-meeting-2-6-october-2019/
- Message from the Admiral http://www.lookoutnewspaper.com/message-admiral/
- Ask a Battle of Atlantic Survivor: Q&A with Peter Chance http://www.lookoutnewspaper.com/ask-battle-atlantic-survivor-qa-peter-chance/
- Liberal MP Andrew Leslie set to testify against feds at Mark Norman trial: sources | CTV News
- Navy reservists from Ottawa and Kingston lending a hand in Gatineau
- Tragedy of wartime mission remembered at Royal Roads University
- AB Liznick survived Athabaskan sinking and solitary confinement at POW camp
- Awarded the largest shipbuilding contract in Ocean Industries Inc.’s history by the government of Canada | national defence
- Davie awarded refit contract for Canadian Coast Guard icebreaker
- Feds falling short on promise to provide better case management to vets
- ★ Hero Worship: Museum’s latest exhibit(Editor – how appropriate for this numbered NAC News edition to be posting this notice just before BOA Sunday!!) http://www.lookoutnewspaper.com/hero-warship-museums-latest-exhibit/
USA & AMERICAS
- The U.S. Military: Like the French at Agincourt?
- USNI News Fleet and Marine Tracker: April 29, 2019
- CNO Nominee Moran: Navy Needs More Funds to Grow, Crew 355-Ship Fleet
- Pentagon Concerned About China’s Increasing Presence in the Arctic
- Trump Administration Reverses Decision to Retire USS Harry S. Truman Early
- Coast Guard Discusses Developing Arctic Role
- Next Chief of Naval Operations Will Lead a Navy Facing Readiness, Personnel, Technology Challenges
- Berger: Marine Corps May Have to Shrink to Afford Modernization, Readiness Goals
- https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/these-submarines-are-super-stealth-and-cheap-and-us-navy-doesnt-have-them-55212(And the U.S. Navy Doesn’t Have Them)
- The Measure of a Naval Fleet: Battle Force Missiles
- Buying the Type 26 Frigate might make sense for US
- 4th Fleet Commander Tapped to Lead U.S. Naval Academy
- Former USS Fitzgerald CO Outlines Defense in Rebuttal to SECNAV
- U.S. Dredging Companies Maintain America’s Strategic Seaports
- US Navy to christen Expeditionary Fast Transport Guam
- U.S. Navy will have anti torpedo torpedo – full analysis https://youtu.be/J5uBAORZ4VU
- World Navies: Brazil´s Riachuelo Submarine
- Venezuelan migrants missing in shipwreck off Trinidad and Tobago
- China is Building an Armada
- China’s Vast Fleet is Tipping the Balance of Power in the Pacific
- U.S. Will Unveil New Indo-Pacific Strategy Next Month
- Russian Northern Fleet naval group led by frigate Admiral Gorshkov enters Sea of Japan http://tass.com/defense/1056555
- South Korea approved $US 3.3 billion destroyer project
- Blockade: an imperfect strategy http://cimsec.org/blockade-an-imperfect-strategy/40258
- ADF officer appointed to Deputy Commander of UN HQ in Korea(Editor – of note the only other previous non-US Deputy Commander was Canadian)
- Boxed In: $1 Billion of Iranian Crude Sits at China’s Dalian Port
- Australian deployment to enforce North Korean sanctions
- China, Russia in major Yellow Sea exercise
- Japan Coast Guard launched new patrol vessel
- Jakarta fired up over clash with Vietnam vessels
- Two U.S. Warships Pass Through Taiwan Strait in 7th Transit Since 2018
- Pakistan Navy test-fired a new shipborne cruise missile in the Arabian Sea
- Navy Adding Fifth Amphib to Japan-Based Fleet for Operational Flexibility; 1 DDG Leaving Japan
- Wolf packs and the power of asymmetric naval warfare
- $1bn naval shipbuilding election commitment for WA
- Floating Storage in Strait of Malacca Soars Ahead of IMO 2020
ATLANTIC & EUROPE
- Russia Floats Out First Nuclear Sub That Will Carry Poseidon Strategic Underwater Drones (Editor – pic packed video with English subtitles) https://youtu.be/mfFPbW4rgG8
- Royal Navy-Friendly U.K. Defense Secretary Williamson Removed Over Huawei Leak
- Trans-Atlantic bonds tighten as naval leaders meet in Washington
- The first Project 09852 Russian submarine that will carry the strategic Poseidon underwater drone (Editor – complimentary of above) https://youtu.be/BxXJlU_Psnw
- Future of minehunting sails into Dartmouth
- Russia, China step up talks over Arctic shipping
- Russian improved kilo-class submarine Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky – full analysis https://youtu.be/W4eHEQqLFKc
- Russian Navy to receive 40 advanced minesweepers by 2030 http://tass.com/defense/1056631
- Royal Canadian Navy strengthens interoperability with French Navy Carrier Strike Group
- Boxer Amphibious Ready Group, 11th MEU Leave on Scheduled Pacific, Middle East Deployment
- Pakistan takes command of CTF150 from Canada
- Six charts that show how hard US sanctions have hit Iran
- The Real Iran Threat to the Strait of Hormuz(Causing Oil Prices to Skyrocket)
- White House to designate Muslim Brotherhood terrorist organisation
- ★ Here’s how much global military spending rose in 2018
- Royal Canadian Navy warships make PHOENIX EXPRESS debut
- MarTID 2019: Maritime Training Budgets Rise
- 65,000 Wells will be Drilled in 2019
- ★ Opinion: The Missouri River Is Just Going to Keep On Flooding(Editor – lessons here, no doubt that climate change is a destabilizing factor…what to do)
- Canadian among oil workers kidnapped by gunmen in Nigeria
- Record Submersible Dive Made in Preparation for Titanic Survey
- Aircraft carriers by countries. A detail comparison of Top countries. https://youtu.be/_-01WVY6trs
- ★ Fairey Gannet (Editor – something for the naval aviators, an remarkable part of the cold war) https://youtu.be/xfz_4D7gLsQ
- Japanese WW2 African Raid! (Editor – not a war story I’d heard of) https://youtu.be/ChKhxd5qW4s
- USS Lyndon B Johnson Zumwalt class warship christened! https://youtu.be/1-NP4NVG_VY
- South Koreans jailed over ‘Russian treasure find’
- Meet the Forgotten Battleship Fleet of World War II (Hitler Tried to Sink It)
SIGNIFICANT RCN DATES – MAY
(Month by month building a comprehensive list of significant RCN/Maritime events – if you see any glaring omissions or errors please inform me, and any more modern significant dates are welcomed. The list currently draws from LEGION magazine, the Directory of History and Heritage’s comprehensive “Significant Dates in Canadian Military History”, and the “Canada Channel”)
- 1 May 1961 415 Maritime Patrol Squadron is reformed at Summerside, Prince Edward Island, flying Argus maritime patrol aircraft.
- 3 May 1937 A Royal Canadian Navy Volunteer Reserve half-company was authorized in Thunder Bay (Port Arthur at the time) and later developed into HMCS Griffon, the current local Naval Reserve unit.
- 4 May 1910 The Canadian Navy, later redesignated as the Royal Canadian Navy, is authorized after Royal assent is given to the Naval Service Act of Canada.
- 4 May 1911 Her Majesty’s Dockyard Esquimalt is transferred from British to Canadian authorities.
- 4 May 1945 The cruiser HMCS Uganda sails with an American task force to bombard Japanese airfields as part of the Okinawa campaign.
- 7 May 1944 HMCS Valleyfield, a frigate, is torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U-548 in the Atlantic Ocean with a loss of 125 sailors.
- 8 May 1942 U Boat 553 is the first enemy submarine to enter the Gulf of St. Lawrence to attack Canadian shipping.
- 8 May 1967 The Canadian Forces Reorganization Act is given Royal assent and begins the process of unification of the previously-separate Royal Canadian Navy, Canadian Army and Royal Canadian Air Force.
- 10 May1918 For his actions at Ostend, Belgium, Rowland Bourke of the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve earns the Victoria Cross.
- 12 May 1942 The German submarine U-553 sinks the steamers Nicoya and Leto between Gaspe and Anticosti island.
- 12 May 1945 HMCS Victoriaville (frigate) escorts the surrendered U-Boat 190 into Bay Bulls, Newfoundland.
- 13 May 1943 HMCS Drumheller, HMS Lagan and an aircraft from the Royal Canadian Air Force’s 423 Squadron combine to sink the German submarine U-753 in the Atlantic Ocean.
- 13 May 1945 German submarine U-899 officially surrendered to the Royal Canadian Navy near Shelburne, N. S. becomes the only German sub to surrender in Canadian waters during Second World War.
- 14 May 1917 Lieutenant R. Leckie, Royal Naval Air Service, flying a Curtiss H-12 flying boat shoots down the German Zeppelin L.22 over England.
- 15 May 1941 Ten corvettes in UK shipyards are formally commissioned as RCN ships.
- 16 May 1945 HMCS MATANE is sent to escort 14 surrendered U-Boats from Trondheim to Loch Eriboll.
- 17 May 1963 Approval is given for the Royal Canadian Navy to begin work on the first Canadian military hydrofoil, HMCS Bras D’Or.
- 18 May 1914 The Royal Navy Canadian Volunteer Reserve (RNCVR) is authorized as part of the Royal Canadian Navy.
- 21 May 1917 The Imperial War Graves Commission (now the Commonwealth War Graves Commission) is established by Royal Charter.
- 21 May 1939 King George VI unveils the National War Memorial in Ottawa.
- 22 May 1931 HMCS SAGUENAY is commissioned at Portsmouth-one of the first ships built for the RCN.
- 24 May 1941 HMS Hood is sunk by the Bismarck in the Denmark Straits: three Canadian midshipmen serving on the battle cruiser are killed.
- 30 May 1939 King George VI presented his Color to the RCN in Beacon Hill Park, Victoria, B. C.