NAC News – Edition 290
Your weekly national and international naval news for the week of February 1, 2019
NAC News – Edition 290
Editor NAC News firstname.lastname@example.org(comments welcome to help improve this service)
Contact David Soule email@example.com you wish someone (who may be a member or perhaps a good candidate to join) to be added to the NAC News email distribution.
★ Editor’s stars of the week
Keep in touch with the NAC
If you are receiving NAC News, but are not a member, please consider joining NAC https://www.navalassoc.ca/branches/joining-membership-renewal/
Link to Starshell Magazine https://www.navalassoc.ca/naval-affairs/starshell/
Other Interesting Web Sites https://www.navalassoc.ca/naval-affairs/links/
Archived weekly NAC New Links http://nac-vi.ca/news/
Should you wish to donate – NAC Endowment Fund https://www.navalassoc.ca/national/nac-endowment-fund/
Keep in touch with the RCN
TWITTER @RCN_MRC @Comd_MARPAC @MARPAC @RCN_MARLANT #RCNavy or #MarineRC
YouTube Royal Canadian Navy or Marine royale canadienne
flickr Royal Canadian Navy / Marine royale canadienne
GoFundMe for Admiral Norman’s Legal Defence – After 12 months2,015 people have contributed $264,913 towards the $300,00 goal https://ca.gofundme.com/51lc5d4
Ship Tech 2019 – RAdm Casper P. Donovan, CD Director General Future Ship Capability RCN will deliver the keynote address. Shaw Centre, Ottawa, ON 5 March 2019 https://vanguardcanada.com/shiptech2019?inf_contact_key=3c746929148d2d24b79107680bc47b45a7598f9e67a4c0ef588915fee71a8331
2019 Navy Outlook – Shaw Centre, Ottawa, ON – 2 April 2019 Ottawa Sponsored by CADSI https://www.defenceandsecurity.ca/CAF/caf/Navy-Outlook
MARITECH Full Speed Ahead: Firing on all cylinders (Call for papers opportunity) Conference and Exhibition, Ottawa ON April 23-25 2019 http://mari-techconference.ca
2019 Maritime Gala Ball– Saturday, June 15, 2019 Hilton Lac Leamy Gatineau QC – This event, supported by the Commander of the RCN and the Commissioner of the CCG, will celebrate the many successes of our Canadian Maritime community. This event will commemorate the past, celebrate the present, and confirm their commitment to the future. Tickets will be on sale early March 2019 so mark your calendars.
★ NOABC 100th Anniversary Celebration 2-6 Oct 2019 Vancouver BC Conference Venue: BCIT Marine Campus – 265 West Esplanade, North Vancouver. UNTD Dinner in the planning stage. Conference Hotel: The Pinnacle Hotel, North Vancouver – a block booking with room rates ranging from $170 to $190 per night. Details to be confirmed and posted to the NOABC web page shortly.
- ★ CITT Ruling Alion and CSC – The Canadian International Trade Tribunal has determined that Alion Science and Technology Canada Corporation and Alion Science and Technology Corporation do not have standing to file a complaint before the Canadian Internation
- COMMENTARY: Canada will screw up the submarine replacement. It’s just a matter of how and when
- Military never investigated leak of Mark Norman letter from HQ, says it wasn’t a breach of security
- Two probes launched into claims that military blocked information requests in Norman case
- ‘We’re not perfect’ says DND as court to hear about alleged attempts to withhold information in Norman case
- Defence lawyers allege some military officials used code names to hide information about Mark Norman
- Top military judge to face court martial overseen by deputy this summer
- Davie Shipbuilding Questions Government Over Second Supply Ship
- Bell Let’s Talk 2019 : Lieutenant-Colonel, Shawn J Benninger https://youtu.be/jDbZWFGIMaA
- Mayor, councillors visit HMCS Halifax
- Other Navy ships could get longer lives
- Like mother, like daughter: family members deploy together in HMCS Toronto
- Crane Booms Collapses onto Containership at Port of Vancouver
- 10,000 ships exhibit at North Vancouver’s polygon gallery now open
- Dead Boat Disposal team work midnight shift to pull boats from Caddy Bay
- Receding glaciers in Canadian Arctic reveal landscapes not seen for 40,000 years
- Help is just a phone call away
USA & AMERICAS
- Destroyer Honors Navy SEAL Who Threw Himself on Grenade
- USNI News Fleet and Marine Tracker: Jan. 28, 2019
- UPDATED: Navy Awards 2-Carrier Contract to Newport News Shipbuilding
- Report to Congress on Cost of U.S. Nuclear Forces
- Report to Congress on Nonstrategic Nuclear Weapons
- The US Navy’s new, more lethal frigate is coming into focus
- Lincoln Carrier Strike Group to Deploy with Information Warfare Commander on Staff
- The Pentagon needs a navalist as defense secretary
- Army Set to Approve USS Thresher Memorial at Arlington National Cemetery
- Navy Awards Boeing $2.4 Billion P-8A Poseidon Contract
- ★ What does 2019 look like for the U.S. Sixth Fleet? (Editor – useful video)
- VIDEO: 2nd Fleet Takes Control of First Carrier Training Event Since Standing Up Last Summer
- Trump’s new nuclear weapon has entered production
- Littoral Combat Ship’s MCM Package Moves Forward
- Experts: Costs for upgrading weapons will put further pressure on US forces
- TECH FIRST: 3D Printed Pipe Fitting for Nuclear Aircraft Carrier
- A Tragedy: U.S. Navy Suicides Hit A Record High In 2018
- Navy to Honor First Female Fighter Pilot with Female-Piloted Flyover at Funeral
- The U.S. Navy Is Going Old School to Kill Enemy Warships and Submarines
- Royal Caribbean Starts 2019 with Record Bookings, Sees Strong Demand in China
- Video: Icy Waters Pin Riverboat Under Bridge on the Hudson (Editor – turn off mute on video)
- Port of New Orleans Breaks All-Time Container Record
- U.S. Ports Want $4 Billion to Enhance Security
- Venezuelan pirates – the new scourge of the Caribbean
- Invention: Pitching a Tent Underwater
- CNO: U.S., Chinese Navies Improving Working Relationships
- Cranky China’s posturing puts its neighbours on edge
- ‘Sink two aircraft carriers’: Chinese Admiral’s chilling recipe to dominate the South China Sea(Editor – 20 December a Chinese Admiral made inflammatory comments. The danger is if they begin to believe their or rhetoric.)
- ★ The Deceptively Simple Reason Australia Picked the Shortfin Barracuda
- US approves sale of AEGIS Weapons System to Japan
- Is increased UK-Japan defence cooperation leading to a new strategic alliance?
- World’s Largest Shipbuilders in $2 Bln Mega-merger
- ★ Don’t miss the forest for the trees (part 2): critical mass for continuous shipbuilding
- Singapore’s Naval Modernization in Focus With New Warship Launch
- India signs contract for two new Project 1135.6 frigates with Goa Shipyard
- China Establishes South China Sea Rescue Center
- Future focus earns Navy pilot Australia Day award
- Boardings highlight RAN patrol capabilities
- China’s Crackdown on Pollution a Boon to World’s Shipbuilders
- SHIPBUILDING: CSSC Signs for 36 Newbuilds, Worth $1.48B
ATLANTIC & EUROPE
- France Orders Four Logistic Support Ships
- Fincantieri: The Ninth Multipurpose Frigate Launched
- International shipbuilders competing for Belgian-Dutch MCM contract
- Russian Black Sea fleet to acquire two new corvettes in 2019
- Spanish Navy to commission its sixth Meteoro-class offshore patrol vessel
- Russian Krasnodar submarine ready for its first sea trials
- Merlins’ success as helicopter clocks up milestone
- Luxury cruises lured by Arctic Russia
- Boom times for Russia’s Arctic ports
- Remains of Famed Explorer Captain Matthew Flinders Found in London Rail Dig
- Germany to provide Israel 3 Dolphin-class submarines
- Tracking sanctions-busting ships on the high seas
- USS Chung-Hoon Conducts Second Drug Bust in a Month
- Exercise Cutlass Express 2019 Begins
- Pirates Release Six Russians Kidnapped from MSC Mandy in Gulf of Guinea –Report
- The fuel of the future is a dense question
- NGO: Beaching Yards Held 90 Percent of Scrapping Market in 2018
- Liberia Confirmed as Second-Largest Ship Registry in the World
- Migrant crisis: UN says six die every day in Mediterranean crossings
- Global LNG Production to Grow 11% This Year
- Libya’s Governments Agree on Mega Port Project
- Antarctic Weddell expedition targets Shackleton’s lost ship
- Top 5 Amazing Aircraft Carrier Landings (Editor – 10 min video, night time is amazing, so is the Harrier!) https://youtu.be/1kqWnxFR6_w
SIGNIFICANT RCN DATES
(Trial portion of NAC News. Month by month building a comprehensive list of significant RCN events – if you see any glaring omissions or errors please inform me, and more modern significant dates are welcomed. The list draws from LEGION magazine, and the Directory of History and Heritage’s comprehensive “Significant Dates in Canadian Military History”)
- 1 February 1911 The first recruiting posters for the RCN are issued to post offices throughout Canada.
- 1 February 1968 The personnel and organization of the Royal Canadian Navy, Canadian Army, and the Royal Canadian Air Force were unified into a single organization, the Canadian Forces.
- 5 February 1944 HMS Puncher, an aircraft carrier, is commissioned into the Royal Navy at Vancouver with a Canadian crew, but a British air complement.
- 6 February 1943 HMCS Louisbourg is torpedoed and sunk by enemy aircraft in an attack on a convoy in the Mediterranean Sea.
- 8 February 1943 HMCS Regina sinks the Italian submarine Avorio in the Mediterranean Sea.
- 11 February 1942 HMCS Spikenard is torpedoed and sunk in the North Atlantic.
- 14 February 1945 Five Motor Torpedo Boats of the Canadian 29th Flotilla burn in Ostende harbour.
- 15 February 1965 The Maple Leaf becomes Canada’s official flag.
- 16 February 1945 HMCS Saint John sinks the German submarine U-309 off the northeast coast of Scotland near Moray Firth.
- 18 February 1944 Sixteen Canadian minesweepers, in four divisions of four ships, begin to leave St. John’s for British waters to take part in the invasion of Normandy.
- 19 February 1944 Motor Torpedo boats of the 29th and 65th (Canadian) Flotillas begin to be commissioned (continues until 31 March).
- 22 February 1943 HMCS Weyburn strikes a mine and sinks off Tangier.
- 22 February 1945 HMCS Trentonian is torpedoed and sunk by a German submarine in the English Channel.
- 24 February 1944 HMCS Waskesiu sinks the German submarine U-257 in the North Atlantic.
- 27 February 1930 HMCS Thiepval is lost in Barkley Sound, British Columbia.
- 28 February 1946 HMCS Cornwallis is paid off (taken out of service) and new recruit training begins to be conducted at local naval depots.
- 28 February 1991 Operation Desert Storm, the combat phase of the Persian Gulf War ends.