NAC News – Edition 289
Your weekly national and international naval news for the week of January 25, 2019
Editor NAC News email@example.com (comments welcome to help improve this service)
Contact David Soule firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish someone (who is a NAC member or a good candidate who may want to join and would appreciate a trial) to be added to the NAC News email distribution.
★ Editor’s stars of the week
Keep in touch with the NAC
- Naval Association of Canada (Site link to Starshell Magazine)
- Other Interesting Web Sites
- Archived weekly NAC New Links
Keep in touch with the RCN
- TWITTER @RCN_MRC @Comd_MARPAC @MARPAC @RCN_MARLANT #RCNavy or #MarineRC
- YouTube Royal Canadian Navy or Marine royale canadienne
- flickr Royal Canadian Navy / Marine royale canadienne
- ★ GoFundMe for Admiral Norman’s Legal Defence – After 11 months1,996 people have contributed $263,553 towards the $300,00 goal
- C4ISR and Beyond 2019 Rear-Admiral Jeffery Zwick, Chief of Force Development would deliver the keynote address. 30 Jan 2019 7:30-17:00 Ottawa ON
- MARITECH Full Speed Ahead: Firing on all cylinders (Call for papers opportunity) Conference and Exhibition, Ottawa ON April 23-25 2019
- 2019 Maritime Gala Ball – Saturday, June 15, 2019: This event, supported by the Commander of the RCN and Commissionaire of the CCG, will be held at the Hilton Lac to celebrate the many successes of our Canadian Maritime community. This event will commemorate the past, celebrate the present, and confirm their commitment to the future. Tickets will be on sale early March 2019 so mark your calendars.
- NOABC 100th Anniversary Celebration 2-6 Oct 2019 Vancouver BC (Mark your calendar, details to follow, honest!)
- ★ Naval Affairs Update – New Briefing Notes # 7 Shipbuilding in Canada and #8 Naval Procurement. Check these out at Naval Affairs Briefing Notes
- ★ Commander RCN comfortable with one temporary support ship for now
- ★ Business group wants National Shipbuilding Strategy reopened for Quebec shipyard
- ★ Canadian military claimed a report didn’t exist — even though it ‘clearly’ did
- DND blames clerk for internal failures, even as documents show senior officers discussed withholding records
- Wilson-Raybould could do a lot for Canada’s current and future veterans
- Canadian CH-148 returns from first operational deployment (Editor –watch the short video)
- Seaspan Shipyards Awards JSS Contract to INDAL Technologies
- Military witness in the Mark Norman case needs protection – that tells you a lot about National Defence HQ
- Veterans Affairs $165M gaffe headed to Federal Court in proposed class-action lawsuit
- Naval Affairs Program Briefing Note #4 What does the RCN do?
- RCN submarines – An opinion piece that while negative on the Government’s procurement process makes some good points in support of submarines for the RCN
- China’s military ambitions could pressure Canada to increase naval deployments in Asia-Pacific, expert says
- Canada has the worst military procurement system in the Western World
- Defence procurement and the need for a defence industrial strategy
- Canadian navy pressing ahead on life extensions for submarines
- 9 DND employees involved in OC Transpo crash
- Hunter-killer sub HMCS Corner Brook undergoes massive retrofit
- Seaspan Awarded Major Joint Support Ships Contract
- St. Lawrence Seaway Posts its Best Year in a Decade
- ★ The Sailor statue carries on legacy of retired navy veterans, after group disbands
- USA & AMERICAS
- Navy Studying Hyper Velocity Projectile, Other Ammo for Zumwalt Guns
- Fincantieri to Build LCS 31
- USNI News Fleet and Marine Tracker: Jan. 22, 2019
- Paying the Price: The Hidden Cost of the ‘Fat Leonard’ Investigation
- A Game-Changer?: The U.S. Navy Wants Robotic Warships
- Mexican Navy launches Thales mission suite-equipped ocean patrol vessel
- RFA Mounts Bay joins US take-down specialists to combat Caribbean drug-runners
- Navy to Commission Destroyer Michael Monsoor______________________________
- Northeast Asia arms race surges in 2019
- US Navy sails warships through Taiwan Strait
- Trump-Kim summit: Second meeting by end of February
- Indian Navy started a series of mega coastal defence exercises
- China’s First Aircraft Carrier Is Back in Action
- Why America Is An Aircraft Carrier Superpower (And Russia Is Not)
- USS Rushmore arrives in India
- Talking to the chiefs: Mike Noonan
- ★ Value for money from continuous shipbuilding
- HMAS Ballarat impresses in maritime warfare exercise
- Should Australia follow Japan and take the F-35 to sea?
- The growing case for an Australian aircraft carrier
- Chinese naval escort fleet concludes visit to Philippines
- Vietnam Welcomes World’s Largest Container Ship
- Blue hole in South China Sea is ‘world’s deepest’ ________________________________
- ATLANTIC & EUROPE
- US and Denmark take command of two NATO naval groups
- German Navy returns to treating the Baltic Sea as a potential theater of war
- ‘About 170 migrants dead’ in Mediterranean shipwrecks
- German submarine U36 starting five-month training mission in Norway
- UK Launches Maritime 2050 Strategy
- Russia’s nuclear-capable underwater drone to be deployed
- German Navy drops out of Mediterranean Sea operation Sophia
- LPG Tanker Explosion Kills 11 Near Kerch Strait
- Spanish Frigate to Join Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group on Upcoming Deployment
- Spanish Shipbuilder Navantia Showcases F-100 Frigate Design
- Norway irked by Russia’s GPS jamming near Arctic border
- Italian Navy to launch its submarine rescue vessel with Fincantieri
- Russia’s Poliment-Redut Air Defense System to Fire Long Range Antiaircraft Missiles
- Rolls-Royce upgrades Rauma thruster plant
- Incident Video: Two Ferries Collide in Olbia, Italy
- Europe’s Most Important River Is Running Dry as Glaciers Shrink
- 1st Gate for the World’s Largest Sea Lock Arrives in Ijmuiden _____________________
- MIDDLE EAST
- Four-nation aircraft carrier drill underway in Persian Gulf _______________________________
- GLOBAL INTERESTS
- RCN ships to head to Africa next week
- BIMCO Calls for Naval Action to Combat Piracy in Gulf of Guinea
- Red Sea rivalries The Gulf, the Horn & the new geopolitics of the Red Sea
- Chinese Icebreaker Damaged in Iceberg Collision
- TOP 5 Yachts of 2018
- Despite Breakdowns and Missed Pay, Polar Star Reaches Antarctica
- Offshore Drilling Market to Reach $152.47B by 2026
- Global Gas Output Hit Record in a Decade in 2018
- LNG REPORT: 143 LNG-Powered Vessels in Operation, 270 to Come __________________________
- ★ 76 mm naval artillery weapon – OTO Melara (Brutal)
- Indian Navy 2018 | Knowledge Bank
- Pakistan Navy 2018 | Knowledge Bank https://youtu.be/4YZPbIkf8Os
- Incident Video: Cargo Ship Crashes Into Pier in Barranquilla, Colombia _________________________________
- SIGNIFICANT RCN DATES (Trial portion of NAC News. Month by month building a comprehensive list of significant RCN events – if you see any glaring omissions or errors please inform me, and more modern significant dates are welcomed. The list draws from LEGION magazine, and the Directory of History and Heritage’s comprehensive “Significant Dates in Canadian Military History”)
- 1 January 1923 The National Defence Act, which was passed in June 1922, takes effect, creating the Department of National Defence.
- 1 January 1946 The Royal Canadian Naval Reserve and the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve together become the Royal Canadian Navy (Reserve). From this date officers of the Regular Force and Reserve wore the same sleeve lace.
- 4 January 1943 HMCS Prince Henry is re-commissioned as Landing Ship Infantry (Medium).
- 8 January 1944 HMCS Camrose and HMS Bayntun sink the German submarine U-757 in the North Atlantic.
- 9 January 1945 HMCS Ehkoli, a former Royal Canadian Navy patrol boat, is re-commissioned in the RCN as a survey vessel.
- 11 January 1957 HMCS Magnificent arrives in Port Said with the main body of the Canadian contribution in troops and materiel to the United Nations Emergency Force controlling the Israeli-Egyptian border.
- 13 January 1943 HMCS Ville de Quebec sinks the German submarine U-224 in the western Mediterranean Sea.
- 14 January 1952 HMCS Uganda is renamed Quebec.
- 17 January 1957 HMCS Bonaventure is commissioned at Belfast, Northern Ireland. She is the first aircraft carrier to be owned outright by Canada and incorporates several post-war technical developments: an angled deck, mirror landing aid, and steam catapult.
- 19 January 1911 The Royal Naval College of Canada opens in Halifax.
- 19 January 1943 HMCS Port Arthur sinks the Italian Submarine Tritone in the Mediterranean Sea.
- 22 January 1942 The Canadian Naval Board is established.
- 24 January 1932 HMC Ships Skeena and Vancouver land armed parties at Acajutla, El Salvador, to protect British subjects threatened in a revolution.
- 24 January 1946 HMCS Warrior, the Royal Canadian Navy’s first aircraft carrier, is commissioned and Nos.803, 825, 826 and 883 Squadrons (already manned by Canadians) are transferred from the Royal Navy.
- 26 January 1955 Cabinet approves the entry of members of the Womens’ Royal Canadian Naval Reserve as members of the Royal Canadian Navy Regular Force.
- 30 January 1991 At the Battle of Babiyan a CF-18 Hornet attacks and causes irreparable damage to an Iraqi warship. It was the only CF-18 credited with an official victory during the Gulf War.
- 31 January 1923 The Royal Canadian Naval Reserve and Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve are established.