- This event has passed.
Battle of the Atlantic Events – 2019 – Sunday 5 May
May 5, 2019
The following are the know locations of BOA ceremonies and related events as applicable. You will also find some of the applicable orders for these at the bottom of this webpage, if interested. For most folks the information below will suffice. Please note that participation in/the size/scale of parades may vary due to the fact that a large number of our Naval Reservists are deployed assisting with flood control operations, mostly in the eastern part of Canada.
NAC does not organize these events and the responsible organization for each of these varies across the country. If in doubt, contact your local NAC Branch rep for more information:
OTTAWA: NATIONAL BOA CEREMONY – NATIONAL WAR MEMORIAL
- 1000-1015 – arrival and seating of invited guests (no car traffic allowed inside barriers)
- 1030 – VCDS Arrives
- 1025-1041 – Guests of Honour arrive
- 1050 – Reviewing Officer arrives
- 1050-1200 – Ceremony
- 1200 – O/C – Reception in the Drawing Room of the Fairmont Chateau Laurier
Official Dress: Business attire for civilians, N1As for military; spectators dress appropriate for weather
Backup Plan: Nil, it’s a go rain or shine! (The Ottawa Ceremony Short Program)
VICTORIA: THE CENOTAPH, BRITISH COLUMBIA LEGISLATURE
- 1045 – Guests are to be seated
- 1045 – 1200 – Commemorative Ceremony
VANCOUVER: CEREMONY AT SAILORS’ MEMORIAL, CITY OF NORTH VANCOUVER
- 1015 (form up and march on) Ceremony to be held at the Sailors’ Memorial on the north shore, City of North Vancouver.
- There is a Battle of the Atlantic dinner at HMCS Discovery hosted by NOABC on Saturday evening, 4 May (no details but you can always contact your NOABC contact person)
EDMONTON: BATTLE OF THE ATLANTIC LUNCHEON – HMCS NONSUCH – SATURDAY 4 MAY
- 1130 for 1200 – $30 ($15 serving member) – Dress: 1As or business casual – Note RSVP was 30 April but if you wish to attend you should contact the XO Nonsuch at 780-973-4011 x 7138. payment at the door (cash or cheque). NOTE THIS IS A SATURDAY EVENT.
CALGARY: CEREMONY/PARADE AT THE MILITARY MUSEUMS OF CALGARY
- 1000 – Members of ship’s company and the public are invited to attend Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship TECUMSEH’s Battle of the Atlantic parade at the Military Museums of Calgary.
- 1230 – reception following the parade and ceremony in the Corvette Club of the Calgary Naval Veterans Association
- There is a Mess Dinner on Friday May 3, 1830 for 1900 at the Naval Museum of Alberta
WINNIPEG: CEREMONY AT HMCS CHIPPAWA – 1 NAVY WAY
- 1030 The public is invited to attend Her Majesty`s Canadian Ship (HMCS) Chippawa Battle of the Atlantic ceremony that will take place at 1 Navy Way (Corner of Smith St & Assiniboine Ave)
THUNDER BAY: CEREMONY AT HMCS GRIFFON, 125 NORTH ALGOMA STREET
- 1120 for 1130 – Ceremony taking place indoors on the drill deck due to the forecast for inclement weather. Guests are to be seated by 1120.
LONDON, ONTARIO: CEREMONY AT BATTLE OF THE ATLANTIC MEMORIAL GARDEN, HMCS PREVOST
- 1100 – Battle of the Atlantic Memorial Garden at HMCS Prevost, 19 Becher St, London – public welcome to attend
- There is also a Mess Dinner at HMCS Prevost on Saturday evening 4 May. RSVP by 1 May at this link https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/battle-of-the-atlantic-mess-dinner-hmcs-prevost-tickets-57936843659
WINDSOR, ONTARIO: PARADE TO/AND COMMEMORATIVE CEREMONY AT NAVAL MONUMENT, DIEPPE GARDENS
- 1330 – 1350 – Parade Marching Contingent marches from Essex County War Memorial to Dieppe Gardens
- 1400 – until completion – Commemorative Ceremony at the Naval Monument, Dieppe Gardens
HAMILTON: CEREMONY ON 5 MAY 2019 AT HMCS HAIDA NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- 1400-1500 The Royal Canadian Navy (HMCS Star) will host a Battle of the Atlantic Parade and Commemorative Ceremony on 5 May 2019 at HMCS HAIDA National Historic Site.
TORONTO: VARIOUS VENUES – PARADE YONGE-DUNDAS SQUARE TO NATHAN PHILLIPS SQUARE
- 1100 -1600 the Royal Canadian Navy (HMCS York) will be parading from Yonge-Dundas Square to Nathan Phillips Square.
PORT HOPE, ON: CEREMONY AT THE CENOTAPH, MEMORIAL PARK
- 1030 – the Port Hope Pipe Band, Cadets and Naval Veterans will gather out front the Skeena Building (17 Mill Street) to parade to the Cenotaph in Memorial Park for a remembrance service. RCSCC Skeena puts on a simple but moving ceremony at the town War Monument.
MONTREAL: CLOCK TOWER (AT THE MEMORIAL) – OLD MONTREAL
- 1310 -1315 Participants are to gather on the pier in front of the Clock Tower Clock Tower (memorial). There will be no parade due to the military assistance required for flood control
- 1315 – 1500 Ceremony at Clock Tower (memorial) – Old Montreal
SAINT JOHN, NB: CEREMONY AT SAINT JOHN STONE CHURCH, 87 CARLETON STREET
- 1000 – HMCS Brunswicker will commemorate the anniversary of the Battle of the Atlantic with a ceremony at the Saint John Stone Church, 87 Carleton Street, Saint John.
HALIFAX: SAILORS’ MEMORIAL – POINT PLEASANT PARK, HALIFAX
- 1015 -1200 Ceremony at the Sailors’ Memorial
ST. JOHN’S, NL: BATTLE OF THE ATLANTIC CHURCH SERVICE AND PARADE
- 1100 – HMCS Cabot will commemorate the Battle of the Atlantic Anniversary with a Church Service at 11:00 a.m. at the Gower Street United Church followed by a parade to the National War Memorial for a wreath laying ceremony at 12:45 p.m.
- Botwood Bay NL, – 1100-1500 – Harbourside wreath laying ceremony at the Port of Botwood Wharf sponsored by the Royal Canadian Legion Branch #5 Botwood, Newfoundland & Labrador. For more details call the Botwood Legion (709) 257-2209. Reception to follow at Botwood Legion.
Two significant events are held every year in support of NAC objectives: the Battle of the Atlantic Gala Dinner (in abeyance for 2019), and the National Annual General Meeting, which is normally accompanied by a conference or seminar dealing with an important naval topic. This section contains information on these two events, as well as other events of importance to NAC objectives.
In addition, each branch holds their own events in support of the aims of the association. These events will be announced in the Calendar.