NAC News – Edition 340 HMCS St. John’s
Your weekly national and international naval news for the week of January 17th, 2020
Edition – 340 HMCS St. John’s; and, K340 HMCS Owen Sound (WW2 Revised Flower Class Corvette)
Rod Hughes – Editor NAC News email@example.com (comments welcome to help improve this service)
Contact David Soule firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish someone (who may be a member or perhaps a good candidate to join) to be added to the NAC News email distribution.
★ Editor’s stars of the week
Keep in touch with the NAC
If you are receiving NAC News, but are not a member, please consider joining NAC https://www.navalassoc.ca/branches/joining-membership-renewal/
Link to Starshell Magazine https://www.navalassoc.ca/naval-affairs/starshell/
Other Interesting Web Sites https://www.navalassoc.ca/naval-affairs/links/
Archived weekly NAC New Links https://www.navalassoc.ca/naval-affairs/nac-news/
Should you wish to donate – NAC Endowment Fund
Keep in touch with the RCN
TWITTER @RCN_MRC @Comd_MARPAC @MARPAC @RCN_MARLANT #RCNavy or #MarineRC
YouTube Royal Canadian Navy or Marine royale canadienne
flickr Royal Canadian Navy / Marine royale canadienne
- Vanguard ShipTech 2020 Forum Keynote Speaker: Mario PelletierCommissioner of the Canadian Coast Guard, The Westin, Ottawa, ON 25 February 2020, 7:30 – 17:00
- Robert Hampton Gray VC. DSC. RCNVR memorial fund raising
- 2020 NAC BOA Gala, conference and AGM – 30 April – 3 May 2020 in Ottawa.
- 30 Apr (Thursday) – Evening – 2020 BOA Gala Dinner at Canadian War Museum
- 1 May (Friday) – Day – NAC National Conference
- 2 May (Saturday) – Morning – NAC National 2020 AGM
- 3 May (Sunday) – 1000-1400 – National RCN BOA ceremony/parade and associated social gathering
- Vanguard Launches First-Ever Canadian Submarine Event (Editor – The next big RCN procurement challenge! The Deep Blue 2020 Forum, a one-day event, will take place on 29 October 2020, details to follow)
- Lockheed Martin to deliver next-gen radar to four nations
- Seaspan Shipyards hosts ceremonial keel laying for the future HMCS Protecteur
- Keel-Laying (Editor – useful RUSI article. On 16 Jan the ceremonial keel laying for HMCS Protecteur the first of two Joint Support Ships that Seaspan is building took place. She will be the largest ship ever built in Canada!)
- Making waves in modern shipbuilding
- 60 Seconds With CPO2 Jean-François Piché
- Great Lakes-St. Lawrence River and Canada’s Economy
- As Australia burns, a plan for a joint seaborne firefighting unit is getting a second look
USA & AMERICAS
- USNI News Fleet and Marine Tracker: Jan. 13, 2020
- ★ 8 truths to remember before starting another military campaign (Editor – not a naval article but a cautionary commentary that every country should take note of)
- US Navy surface force commander discusses three points to own future fight
- ★ Three Allied Frigates Converge on East Coast Ahead of Eisenhower CSG Deployment
- CNO Gilday Calls for Budget Increase to Reach 355 Ship Fleet; New Battle Force Count Won’t Include Unmanned Ships
- US Navy awarded Boeing a production contract for P-8A Poseidon
- USS Carl Vinson Returning to San Diego this Summer
- SNA 2020 Day 1 – Austal HSSV, LCS update, SEWIP Block 3, SPY-6 radar (Editor – interesting 12:21 min video)
- Mexican Navy’s First POLA Vessel ARM Reformador Completes Sea Trials
- Navy’s New Rescue And Salvage Vessel A Decade In The Making
- SNA 2020 Day 2 – Fincantieri FFG(X), JMSDF Collaborative Table, Raytheon SM-3 Block IIA
- Navy Mulling Installing AN/SPY-6, Baseline 10 on Legacy Destroyers
- Raytheon Delivers 10th AN/AQS-20C Minehunting Sonar to U.S. Navy
- Two More Chinese Nationals Arrested for Photographing NAS Key West
- Littoral Combat Ship Will Field Laser Weapon as Part of Lockheed Martin, Navy Test
- 21 Saudi Military Students Disenrolled from Training Programs After Investigators Find Jihadist Material, Child Pornography
- Extended Drought Forces Panama Canal to Adopt New Fees and Reduce Reservation Slots
- The PLA will commission more destroyers after the Nanchang, the largest warship other than a carrier in Asia
- US warship sails through Taiwan Strait
- USS America Conducts Operations with JMSDF Vessel in East China Sea
- Chinese ‘spy’ ship in Indian waters
- How Indonesia stared down China in South China Sea
- RMN’s first Littoral Mission Ship arrives in Malaysia
- Indian MoD awarded Goa Shipyard Ltd contract for 2 Talwar frigates
- $80bn future submarine program runs aground, again (Editor – the claim)
- Defence leadership responds to troubling ANAO sub report (Editor – and the rebuttal)
- China Coast Guard ship makes first-ever official visit to Philippines
- Why are Chinese fishermen finding so many ‘submarine spies’?
- Navy completes second evacuation in support of Operation Bushfire Assist
- Shanghai Keeps its Title as World’s Busiest Container Port
- HMM’s 24,000 TEU Mega Ships to Start Delivery in April
- China Busts Two Ships for IMO 2020 Violations
- Russia wishes to have a new aircraft carrier to strengthen its Naval Forces
- Russia’s first helicopter carriers to be laid in early May — source
- The Italo-French FREMM programme continues with a 9th frigate
- NATO’s SNMCMG1 changes command
- New Russian amphibious ship prepares for acceptance trials
- Dutch Navy confirms three corner fight for future sub program
- Damen, Luerssen to Build German Warships
- Russia’s latest minesweeper passes through Black Sea straits in Mediterranean deployment
- ★ Russia Releases Official Plans for the Northern Sea Route
- Arctic shipping boycott gains support among big businesses, but not all are happy
- Sir David Attenborough research ship facing launch delay
- SHI Eyes Russia’s $3Bn LNG Carrier Order
- Bataan ARG, 26 MEU Now Operating in the Middle East
- Navy frigate deploys to Middle East to support allied presence (Editor – RAN Frigate)
- Germany to provide Israel 3 Dolphin-class submarines
- Egypt’s biggest military base on the Red Sea in details
- Japan to send destroyer, aircraft to Middle East
- JMSDF despatches two P-3C MPAs to Middle East on intelligence-gathering mission
- U.S. – Iranian Conflict Affecting Transportation (Editor – so many reasons for conflict)
- U.S. Sanctions Another Chinese Shipping Firm for Trading with Iran
- Macron reads riot act to sub-Saharan countries as death toll from extremist attacks rises
- Massive dual-fuel engine is a world-beater
- IMB: 2019 Saw Unprecedented Rise Gulf of Guinea Crew Kidnappings
- Maersk Drilling Expects to Set New Ultra-Deepwater Record
- 23 Ultra Large Boxships Set for Delivery in 2020
- How America Planned to Use Its Nimitz-Class Aircraft Carriers Against Russia
- The launch video of Royal Huisman’s largest yacht to date: the 81m/ 266ft Sea Eagle II. (Editor – huge beautiful yacht in 2:53 min video)
- WARSHIP TV 1,000,000 – ONE MILLION VIEW SPECIAL (Editor – fun warship eye-candy in 5:46 min video)
- Rocket Kamikazes! (Editor – amazing historic footage in 10:58 min video)
SIGNIFICANT RCN DATES – JANUARY
(It’s been a year for this “month-to-month” calendar – if you see any omissions or errors please inform me, and any more modern significant dates are also welcomed. The list draws primarily from the Directory of History and Heritage’s comprehensive “Significant Dates in Canadian Military History”, the “Canada Channel”, and “Legion Magazine”)
- 1 January 1923 – The National Defence Act, which was passed in June 1922, takes effect, creating the Department of National Defence.
- 1 January 1907 – Military – British Admiralty provisionally hands over the Halifax Dockyard to Canadian authorities.
- 1 January 1946 The Royal Canadian Naval Reserve and the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve together become the RCN (Reserve). From this date officers of the Regular Force and Reserve wore the same sleeve lace.
- 4 January 1943 HMCS Prince Henry is re-commissioned as Landing Ship Infantry (Medium).
- 4 January 1945 German U-boats torpedo steamship “Polarland” near Halifax; Canadian merchant ship “Nipiwan Park” also sunk by submarine attack.
- 4 January 1781 Royal Navy press gang seizes Lunenburg farmers in Halifax and puts them on a British Man-of-War, in spite of a jury finding that the impressment is illegal.
- 8 January 1944 HMCS Camrose and HMS Bayntun sink the German submarine U-757 in the North Atlantic.
- 9 January 1945 HMCS Ehkoli, a former RCN patrol boat, is re-commissioned in the RCN as a survey vessel.
- 11 January 1957 HMCS Magnificent arrives in Port Said with the main body of the Canadian contribution in troops and materiel to the United Nations Emergency Force controlling the Israeli-Egyptian border.
- 13 January 13, 1943 – RCN corvette HMCS Ville de Québec sinks German submarine U-224 off Italy; RCN’s first U-boat kill.
- 14 January 1952 HMCS Uganda is renamed Quebec.
- 17 January 1957 HMCS Bonaventure is commissioned at Belfast, Northern Ireland. She is the first aircraft carrier to be owned outright by Canada and incorporates several post-war technical developments: an angled deck, mirror landing aid, and steam catapult.
- 19 January 1911 The Royal Naval College of Canada opens in Halifax.
- 19 January 1943 HMCS Port Arthur sinks the Italian Submarine Tritone in the Mediterranean Sea.
- 22 January 1942 The Canadian Naval Board is established.
- 24 January 1932 HMC Ships Skeena and Vancouver land armed parties at Acajutla, El Salvador, to protect British subjects threatened in a revolution.
- 24 January 1946 HMCS Warrior, the RCN’s first aircraft carrier, is commissioned and Nos. 803, 825, 826, and 883 Squadrons (already manned by Canadians) are transferred from the Royal Navy.
- 26 January 1955 Cabinet approves the entry of members of the Womens’ Royal Canadian Naval Reserve as members of the RCN Regular Force.
- 30 January 1991 At the Battle of Babiyan a CF-18 Hornet attacks and causes irreparable damage to an Iraqi warship. It was the only CF-18 credited with an official victory during the Gulf War.
- 31 January 1923 The Royal Canadian Naval Reserve and Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve are established.