NAC News – Edition 338 HMCS Winnipeg
Your weekly national and international naval news for the week of January 3rd, 2020
Edition – 338 HMCS Winnipeg; and, K338 HMCS Lindsay (WW2 Revised Flower Class Corvette)
Rod Hughes – Editor NAC News email@example.com (comments welcome to help improve this service)
Contact David Soule firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish someone (who may be a member or perhaps a good candidate to join) to be added to the NAC News email distribution.
★ Editor’s stars of the week
Keep in touch with the NAC
If you are receiving NAC News, but are not a member, please consider joining NAC https://www.navalassoc.ca/branches/joining-membership-renewal/
Link to Starshell Magazine https://www.navalassoc.ca/naval-affairs/starshell/
Other Interesting Web Sites https://www.navalassoc.ca/naval-affairs/links/
Archived weekly NAC New Links https://www.navalassoc.ca/naval-affairs/nac-news/
Should you wish to donate – NAC Endowment Fund
Keep in touch with the RCN
TWITTER @RCN_MRC @Comd_MARPAC @MARPAC @RCN_MARLANT #RCNavy or #MarineRC
YouTube Royal Canadian Navy or Marine royale canadienne
flickr Royal Canadian Navy / Marine royale canadienne
- Vanguard ShipTech 2020 Forum Keynote Speaker: Mario Pelletier Commissioner of the Canadian Coast Guard, The Westin, Ottawa, ON 25 February 2020, 7:30 – 17:00
- Robert Hampton Gray VC. DSC. RCNVR memorial fund raising
2020 NAC BOA Gala, conference and AGM – 30 April – 3 May 2020 in Ottawa.
30 Apr (Thursday) – Evening – 2020 BOA Gala Dinner at Canadian War Museum
1 May (Friday) – Day – NAC National Conference
2 May (Saturday) – Morning – NAC National 2020 AGM
3 May (Sunday) – 1000-1400 – National RCN BOA ceremony/parade and associated social gathering
- Vanguard Launches First-Ever Canadian Submarine Event (Editor – The next big RCN procurement challenge! The Deep Blue 2020 Forum, a one-day event, will take place on 29 October 2020, details to follow)
- The Canadian Armed Forces 2019 Year in Review (Editor – upbeat 2:37 min video)
- Royal Canadian Navy’s 2019 Year in Review! (Editor – impressive 2:46 min video)
USA & AMERICAS
- USNI News Fleet and Marine Tracker: Dec. 30, 2019
- U.S. Fleet Created to Counter Russian Subs Now Fully Operational
- Pentagon proposes cuts to US Navy destroyer construction, retiring 13 cruisers
- Activation Exercise Reveals Challenges Facing U.S. Sealift Fleet
- U.S. Navy Squadron Wraps Up Diesel-Electric Submarine Event With Peruvian Navy
- US Navy proposes decommissioning first 4 LCS more than a decade early
- Revealed: The Navy Has Good Reason To Miss the F 14 Tomcat (Editor – the future in a 5:25 min video)
- Australia will sell two second-hand Adelaide-class guided missile frigates to Chile
- U.S. Navy Wants its Unmanned Vessels to Make VHF Calls
- Uruguay seizes record 6 tonnes of cocaine at port and ranch
- USCGC Bertholf Returns With $312 Million Worth Of Seized Cocaine
- Indian Navy plans to buid 24 submarines including 6 nuclear attack submarines
- China’s sea claims to face stiff test in 2020
- New Chinese aircraft carrier Shandong to deploy wide range of aircraft
- China Launches 23rd and 24th Type 052D Guided-Missile Destroyers
- China Launches Sixth Type 055 Guided Missile Destroyer
- Australian Navy Deploys Two Ships to Help Wildfire Evacuees (Editor – a honking big ship demonstrating its flexibility and utility)
- Australian navy begins evacuation of beach where thousands had sought refuge from fire
- The Role of the Arctic in Chinese Naval Strategy
- India’s Russian-Made Aircraft Carrier Is a Total Disaster. Here’s Why.
- Indonesia Protests China Coast Guard Incursions
- What Does Myanmar’s First Submarine Mean for Its Security and the Region?
- Khulna Shipyard lays keel for five more Padma-class patrol vessels for Bangladeshi Navy
- South Korean Yards Close Year with No.1 Spot
- Piracy Along Malacca-Singapore Straits Jumps Nearly Fourfold
- ‘Ghost boat’ containing human remains washes up on Japanese island
- Why Russian Claim SU-24 jets practiced attack on a U.S. Navy destroyer in the Black Sea?
- Russian coast guard receives new ice strengthened patrol vessel
- Aircraft carriers, dinosaurs and Max Hastings (Editor – a good rebuttal)
- French CG Rescue 31 Migrants
- Container Ship Runs Aground in Bosphorus (Editor – oops, short videos enclosed)
- Russia to Strengthen Northern Sea Route
- Russia’s Floating Power Plant Plugged In
- Rosmorport Marks 400th Anniversary of Russia’s Pilot Service Foundation
- USS Abraham Lincoln and strike group depart Middle East, Harry S Truman in Red Sea
- Any spy craft in Iran-Russia-China naval drills to get hit, commander warns
- NTOG represents RCN at International Maritime Exercise 2019
- Iran Says It Seized Fuel Tanker Near Strait of Hormuz
- ★ Naval News Monthly Report – Episode 11 – December 2019 (Editor – info packaged 5:59 min video, with Harry DeWolf leading the show)
- The Maritime Stories That Shaped the Decade (Editor – really interesting summary)
- Eight Abducted from Tanker off Cameroon
- The X-fuel is on its way
- Fast Facts: What is Forchhammer’s Principle?
AFTERMATH Of Giant Sea Lions on Small Boat! DAMAGE ASSESSMENT With Owner! Olympia, WA (Editor – amusing 4:45 min follow up to video from last week)
SIGNIFICANT RCN DATES – JANUARY
(It’s been a year for this “month-to-month” calendar – if you see any omissions or errors please inform me, and any more modern significant dates are also welcomed. The list draws primarily from the Directory of History and Heritage’s comprehensive “Significant Dates in Canadian Military History”, the “Canada Channel”, and “Legion Magazine”)
- 1 January 1923 – The National Defence Act, which was passed in June 1922, takes effect, creating the Department of National Defence.
- 1 January 1907 – Military – British Admiralty provisionally hands over the Halifax Dockyard to Canadian authorities.
- 1 January 1946 The Royal Canadian Naval Reserve and the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve together become the RCN (Reserve). From this date officers of the Regular Force and Reserve wore the same sleeve lace.
- 4 January 1943 HMCS Prince Henry is re-commissioned as Landing Ship Infantry (Medium).
- 4 January 1945 German U-boats torpedo steamship “Polarland” near Halifax; Canadian merchant ship “Nipiwan Park” also sunk by submarine attack.
- 4 January 1781 Royal Navy press gang seizes Lunenburg farmers in Halifax and puts them on a British Man-of-War, in spite of a jury finding that the impressment is illegal.
- 8 January 1944 HMCS Camrose and HMS Bayntun sink the German submarine U-757 in the North Atlantic.
- 9 January 1945 HMCS Ehkoli, a former RCN patrol boat, is re-commissioned in the RCN as a survey vessel.
- 11 January 1957 HMCS Magnificent arrives in Port Said with the main body of the Canadian contribution in troops and materiel to the United Nations Emergency Force controlling the Israeli-Egyptian border.
- 13 January 13, 1943 – RCN corvette HMCS Ville de Québec sinks German submarine U-224 off Italy; RCN’s first U-boat kill.
- 14 January 1952 HMCS Uganda is renamed Quebec.
- 17 January 1957 HMCS Bonaventure is commissioned at Belfast, Northern Ireland. She is the first aircraft carrier to be owned outright by Canada and incorporates several post-war technical developments: an angled deck, mirror landing aid, and steam catapult.
- 19 January 1911 The Royal Naval College of Canada opens in Halifax.
- 19 January 1943 HMCS Port Arthur sinks the Italian Submarine Tritone in the Mediterranean Sea.
- 22 January 1942 The Canadian Naval Board is established.
- 24 January 1932 HMC Ships Skeena and Vancouver land armed parties at Acajutla, El Salvador, to protect British subjects threatened in a revolution.
- 24 January 1946 HMCS Warrior, the RCN’s first aircraft carrier, is commissioned and Nos. 803, 825, 826, and 883 Squadrons (already manned by Canadians) are transferred from the Royal Navy.
- 26 January 1955 Cabinet approves the entry of members of the Womens’ Royal Canadian Naval Reserve as members of the RCN Regular Force.
- 30 January 1991 At the Battle of Babiyan a CF-18 Hornet attacks and causes irreparable damage to an Iraqi warship. It was the only CF-18 credited with an official victory during the Gulf War.
- 31 January 1923 The Royal Canadian Naval Reserve and Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve are established.