NAC News – Edition 335 HMCS Calgary
Your weekly national and international naval news for the week of December 13th, 2019
Edition – 335 HMCS Calgary; K335 Frontenac (WW2 Revised Flower Class Corvette); J335 HMCS Rockliffe (WW2 Algerine Class minesweeper)
Rod Hughes – Editor NAC News firstname.lastname@example.org (comments welcome to help improve this service)
Contact David Soule email@example.com if you wish someone (who may be a member or perhaps a good candidate to join) to be added to the NAC News email distribution.
★ Editor’s stars of the week
Keep in touch with the NAC
- If you are receiving NAC News, but are not a member, please consider joining NAC https://www.navalassoc.ca/branches/joining-membership-renewal/
- Link to Starshell Magazine https://www.navalassoc.ca/naval-affairs/starshell/
- Other Interesting Web Sites https://www.navalassoc.ca/naval-affairs/links/
- Archived weekly NAC New Links https://www.navalassoc.ca/naval-affairs/nac-news/
- TWITTER @navalassn
- Should you wish to donate – NAC Endowment Fund
Keep in touch with the RCN
- TWITTER @RCN_MRC @Comd_MARPAC @MARPAC @RCN_MARLANT #RCNavy or #MarineRC
- YouTube Royal Canadian Navy or Marine royale canadienne
- flickr Royal Canadian Navy / Marine royale canadienne
- vimeo https://vimeo.com/thenavylamarine
- NAC Naval Affairs – need a Christmas gift for someone in your family or do you want to donate a book to a local school library – This book has now been published. Information on where and how to order can be found at – “Mom’s in the Navy”
- Vanguard ShipTech Forum (Editor – The Westin, Ottawa, ON 25 February 2020, 7:30 – 17:00)
- Robert Hampton Gray VC. DSC. RCNVR memorial fund raising
- 2020 NAC BOA Gala, conference and AGM – 30 April – 3 May 2020 in Ottawa.
30 Apr (Thursday) – Evening – 2020 BOA Gala Dinner at Canadian War Museum
1 May (Friday) – Day – NAC National Conference
2 May (Saturday) – Morning – NAC National 2020 AGM
3 May (Sunday) – 1000-1400 – National RCN BOA ceremony/parade
- Vanguard Launches First-Ever Canadian Submarine Event (Editor – The next big RCN procurement challenge! The Deep Blue 2020 Forum, a one-day event, will take place on 29 October 2020, details to follow)
- Combat Systems Engineers ensure HMCS Ottawa is ready to fight
- U.S. documents describe an Afghan war on the cheap that cost Canada dearly (Editor – this and the next article speak to fundamental CAF employment issues)
- What went wrong in Afghanistan? Our MPs don’t seem to be in a hurry to find out
- The Pentagon Isn’t Sure What to Do with Turkey’s Undelivered F-35s (Editor – I couldn’t resist adding this article…OMG, any ideas who could use these planes?)
- A Single Canadian Defence Procurement Agent
- Defence Procurement Canada: Opportunities and Constraints
- Hundreds mark 102nd anniversary of Halifax Explosion
- ★ Shift in Naval Boarding training
- Defence Department Assistant Deputy Minister Chris Henderson to return to Canadian Coast Guard
- Ship with 60 bags of plastic trash from Great Pacific Garbage patch docks in Vancouver
- Arctic has one of warmest years, raising fears over rising sea levels
- The Marine Club (Editor – this club was mentioned during the last NAC Board meeting. Like minded mariners indeed, and the details are forwarded for your consideration. Perhaps NAC members of the great lakes “catchment” would enjoy being members?)
- Port of Trois-Rivières: Dynamic port – dynamic community
USA & AMERICAS
- USNI News Fleet and Marine Tracker: Dec. 10, 2019
- House, Senate Defense Bill Signs Off on New Shipbuilding Programs, Restricts Others
- US Navy remains confident carriers will play key role in countering China
- U.S. Aircraft Carrier John F. Kennedy Christened (Editor – the second imbedded video is a good précis)
- US Navy, Air Force team up on new ‘Manhattan Project’
- Here’s America’s Secret Weapon to Fight China Anywhere (Editor – 10:09 min starts slowly but builds…the explanation of the mod-Ohio class submarine is worth it)
- At-sea nuclear deterrent submarines top priority for US Navy
- Report to Congress on Virginia-Class Attack Submarine Program
- Navy Accepts Delivery of 11th EPF, USNS Puerto Rico
- GAO Report on U.S. Missile Defense and Emerging Threats
- Underway on USS Gerald R. Ford: Navy Marks Progress on Carrier as Scrutiny of Program Grows
- Venezuela refugee crisis to become the largest and most underfunded in modern history
- Icebreaking Kicks Off on the Great Lakes
- Argentine Navy Commissioned ARA Bouchard OPV Built By Naval Group
- Saudi national suspected in shooting at Florida navy base that left four dead
- The US’ Overseas Military Base Strategy (Editor – enlightening 14:05 min video)
- HMCS Ottawa at KAEDEX 19
- The Guns of August: UK Professor predicts the US-China flash point of the 2020s
- Amphibious Assault Ship USS America Arrives In Japan
- ★ Australia has been ‘dudded’ over nuclear submarines (Editor – an amusing and in some cases inaccurate argument about their future submarine acquisition)
- Tensions Escalate (Dec 12): All US Allies Ready to Fight in the South China Sea (Editor – a mix of news with some interesting pics in this 10:52 min video)
- ★ US, China step back from brink in South China Sea
- Air Force Keeping Up Presence Operations Over South China Sea
- Indian Navy fired up engines of Indigenous Aircraft Carrier and is ready for basin trials
- ★ Why India’s Arihant-Class Missile Submarine Is a Serious Problem for China
- Japan Marine United launches third Awaji-class minesweeper
- Hanjin Heavy to build 4 high-speed landing craft for Korean Navy
- China steps up compliance with UN sea law after ship expelled by India
- Russian, Vietnamese naval forces holding joint drills in Cam Ranh
- Subs in Schools inspiring next-gen marine engineers
- China Shipbuilding Boasts USD 4.2 Billion Deals Galore
- White Sea areas closed off for Russian weapons testing
- Danish Arctic frigate deployment highlights requirement to augment regional C2
- Ukraine and Russia agree to implement ceasefire
- Change of Command for SNMG1
- HMS Prince of Wales commissioning ceremony held in Portsmouth
- Russian Only Aircraft Carrier Stricken by Fire in Latest Mishap.
- Maintenance problems for the Royal Navy mount up
- DEMA SHOW 2019: The One New Scuba Gear Everyone Is Talking About! (Editor – here’s an interesting piece of kit)
- Podded propulsion crucial for ice-class LNG fleet performance
- Iceland Bans Use of Heavy Fuel Oil
- Royal Australian Navy assumes command of Combined Task Force 150
- Israeli prosecutors announce charges over submarine deal with Germany
- ENS Gamal Abdel Nasser – Egypt Benefited From The Failure Of France And Russia (Editor – is Canada the only major country without a large aviation ship?)
- ★ Why Global Military Spending Is On The Rise (Editor – not purely naval, this 11:20 min video does have some stark financial numbers…draw your own conclusions)
- Damen Shipyards building landing ship tank for Nigerian Navy
- ★ How to Build a Navy – Planning, Procurement, Production, Logistics (Editor – excellent 48:48 min video…although historical, the lessons are timeless – Christmas holiday consumption perhaps!)
- Chinese navy ship Weifang docked in Kenya
- Russian Northern Fleet missile cruiser crosses equator
- Kidnapped Crew from J.J. Ugland Vessel Freed
- Mega box ship orders ramp up (Editor – wow)
- Naval Legends: USS Cod. Part 2 | World of Warships (Editor – second half of the excellent 16:49 min video included in last week’s NAC News…Yankee know-how!)
- The Military-Industrial Complex (Editor – I’m not much of a conspiracy theory believer but I do find some of the facts in this 10:20 min video thought-provoking)
- The transforming MV-22 Osprey (Editor – I knew it folded but…an extraordinary 2 min video)
SIGNIFICANT RCN DATES – DECEMBER
(Month by month build of a comprehensive list of significant RCN/Maritime events – if you see any glaring omissions or errors please inform me, and any more modern significant dates are welcomed. The list draws primarily from the Directory of History and Heritage’s comprehensive “Significant Dates in Canadian Military History”, the “Canada Channel”, and “Legion Magazine”)
- 1 December 1948 HMCS Shearwater, RCN Air Station, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, is commissioned.
- 2 December 1946 HMCS Middlesex goes aground on Shut-in Island near Halifax and becomes a total loss.
- 2 December 1968 The Canadian submarine HMCS Rainbow is commissioned; purchased from the United States, it was originally the USS Argonaut launched in 1944.
- 3 December 1969 As the aircraft carrier HMCS Bonaventure is decommissioned, the aviation fuel tanks are emptied and cleaned, but one of the tanks does not vent properly; two sailors are overcome by the fumes and another two lose their lives during the rescue attempt.
- 4 December 1940 HMCS Prince Henry is commissioned as an Armed Merchant Cruiser.
- 4 Dec 1950 A United Nations task force under Captain J.V. Brock, RCN, in HMCS Cayuga, and consisting of HMC Ships Athabaskan and Sioux, His Majesty’s Australian Ships Warramunga and Bataan, the USS Forest Royal, covered the seaborne withdrawal of civilians and elements of the 8th Army (US) threatened by enemy advances in the Chinnampo area, Korea.
- 5 December 1950 HMCS Athabaskan and HMCS Cayuga bombard the port of Chinnampo, Korea (04-05 Apr).
- 6 December 1917 Halifax Explosion. A huge explosion in Halifax harbour destroys the naval facilities and much of the city.
- 7 December 1941 Canada declares war on Romania, Hungary, Finland and Japan.
- 7 December 1941 HMCS Windflower is lost and 23 of her crew perish after a collision with a Dutch freighter SS Zypenburg on the Grand Banks of Newfoundland.
- 8 December 1918 The Royal Canadian Naval Air Service is discontinued and the cadets being trained are demobilized.
- 10 December 1939 The first Canadian troop convoy sails for Britain escorted out of Halifax by HMC ships Ottawa, Restigouche, Fraser and St. Laurent
- 12 December 1969 RCN retires aircraft carrier HMCS Bonaventure after 12 years of service; “Bonnie” never saw combat, but was scrambled during the October Missile Crisis; later sold for scrap.
- 13 December 1940 HMCS Royal Roads is commissioned as a training establishment for Probationary Sub-Lieutenants.
- 17 December 1944 HMCS MONTREAL (frigate) rescues survivors of U-Boat 1209 wrecked on Wolf Rock southwest of Land’s End.
- 19 December 1945 The Government of Canada approves in principle the formation of a naval air branch.
- 20 December 1943 HMCS Prince David is re-commissioned as a Landing Ship Infantry (Medium).
- 24 December 1944 HMCS Clayoquot is torpedoed by a U806 and sinks while taking station on convoy XB.139, in the approaches to Halifax harbour. Eight of her crew were lost.
- 26 December 1954 HMCS ships HURON and IROQUOIS leave Korea for their home base in Halifax.
- 27 December 1944 HMCS St. Thomas sinks the German submarine U-877 in the North Atlantic.
- 28 December 1940 HMCS Prince David is commissioned as an Armed Merchant Cruiser.
- 29 December 1942 HMC Ships St. Laurent, Chilliwack, Battleford, and Napanee sink the German submarine U-356 in the mid-Atlantic.
- 31 December 1990 The crew of HMCS Preserver flies to the Persian Gulf to relieve HMCS Protecteur’s crew.