NAC News – Edition 293
Your weekly national and international naval news for the week of February 22, 2019
Editor NAC News firstname.lastname@example.org(comments welcome to help improve this service)
Contact David Soule email@example.com you wish someone (who may be a member or perhaps a good candidate to join) to be added to the NAC News email distribution.
★ Editor’s stars of the week
Keep in touch with the NAC
If you are receiving NAC News, but are not a member, please consider joining NAC https://www.navalassoc.ca/branches/joining-membership-renewal/
Link to Starshell Magazine https://www.navalassoc.ca/naval-affairs/starshell/
Other Interesting Web Sites https://www.navalassoc.ca/naval-affairs/links/
Archived weekly NAC New Links http://nac-vi.ca/news/
Should you wish to donate – NAC Endowment Fund https://www.navalassoc.ca/national/nac-endowment-fund/
Keep in touch with the RCN
TWITTER @RCN_MRC @Comd_MARPAC @MARPAC @RCN_MARLANT #RCNavy or #MarineRC
YouTube Royal Canadian Navy or Marine royale canadienne
flickr Royal Canadian Navy / Marine royale canadienne
- ★ GoFundMe for Admiral Norman’s Legal Defence – After 13 months2,248 people have contributed $298,966 towards the $500,000 goal https://ca.gofundme.com/51lc5d4 (Editor – abridged comment from Lee Hammond “Over the past few months Vice-Admiral Norman has been engaged in an intensive and demanding legal battle as he tries to access government documents that he and his lawyers argue are essential to his defence. Beyond just the toll this must be taking on him and his family, this process has been very expensive and the funds we have raised to date have already been exhausted. In recognition of the mounting financial challenges of funding his defence, I have decided to raise our goal to $500,000. Let’s all try and find at least one new supporter so we can double our ranks – and hopefully the funds over the next couple of months!”
- ShipTech Forum 2019: The Future of Shipbuilding Shaw Centre, Ottawa, ON 5 March 2019 https://vanguardcanada.com/shiptech2019
- CADSI Sponsored NAVY Outlook – 2 Apr 2019 at the Shaw Centre Ottawa
- MARITECH Full Speed Ahead: Firing on all cylinders (Call for papers opportunity) Conference and Exhibition, Ottawa ON April 23-25 2019 http://mari-techconference.ca
- 2019 Maritime Gala Ball– Saturday, June 15, 2019 Hilton Lac Leamy Gatineau QC – This event, supported by the Commander of the RCN and the Commissioner of the CCG, will celebrate the many successes of our Canadian Maritime community. This event will commemorate the past, celebrate the present, and confirm their commitment to the future. Tickets will be on sale early March 2019 so mark your calendars.
- NOABC 100th Anniversary Celebration 2-6 Oct 2019 Vancouver BC Conference Venue: BCIT Marine Campus – 265 West Esplanade, North Vancouver. UNTD Dinner in the planning stage. Conference Hotel: The Pinnacle Hotel, North Vancouver – a block booking with room rates ranging from $170 to $190 per night. Details to be confirmed and posted to the NOABC web page shortly.
- HMCS Ville de Québec completes deployment with Standing NATO Maritime Group Two; HMCS Toronto takes its place
- Sub-Lieutenant receives Medal of Bravery for saving fellow sailor
- Canada stresses its “unwavering commitment to the Alliance and the transatlantic bond”
- Warship rejected by DND years ago will now be the backbone of Canada’s future navy
- Future HMCS Protecteur Construction Photos (Editor – great to see progress)
- DND Joint Support Ship webpage
- U.S., Canada Conduct Fisheries Enforcement With Partner Nations in South Pacific
- Canada looking to buy fourth second-hand icebreaker
- Prosecutors in Mark Norman case hand over unredacted notes on meetings with government lawyers
- Crown prosecutors reject allegation of political interference in Vice-Adm. Mark Norman’s criminal case
- NRU Asterix helps warships flex their naval might
- Cyclone experiences hard landing
- Shipping Organizations: Protecting Salish Sea Is a Shared Responsibility
- Hometown Hockey: CFB Esquimalt Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt is this week’s destination for Rogers Hometown Hockey. (Editor – quick fun video)
USA & AMERICAS
- USNI News Fleet and Marine Tracker: Feb. 19, 2019
- US Navy commissions littoral combat ship USS Tulsa
- Report to Congress U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Procurement
- Robot Wolfpacks: Why This Picture Should Scare America’s Enemies
- U.S. Coast Guard Receives Funding for New Heavy Icebreaker
- Report to Congress on Coast Guard Polar Security Cutter Program
- Eyes in the Sky: Hunting Smugglers in All Weather
- Naval Air: EMALS In The Age Of Error
- Naval Group: Four OPVs for Argentina
- U.S. May Expand Sanctions on Venezuelan Oil Shipments
- Choules departs for Southwest Pacific engagement
- Australian Navy task group gets underway for Indo-Pacific Endeavour 2019
- ★ Russia’s quiet push into Asia-Pacific
- China’s Far Seas naval operations, from the year of the Snake to the year of the Pig
- Royal Navy Warship Upsets China
- Choppy waters as carrier nears home stretch
- Defence selects SEA 5000 Australian Aegis systems integration agent
- GE to Supply Equipment for Indian Navy’s Frigate
- Why No Nation Should Mess with India’s Aircraft Carriers
- Photos: Australia’s Submarines in Formation (Editor – this will have our submariner members smiling)
- Fang Fenghui: China’s ex-top general jailed for life
- Hunt for the Fish Pirates who exploit the sea(Editor – “Approximately 20% of all global catch is illegal, unreported or unregulated,”)
- ONE Sets Container Loading Record of 19,000 TEUs
- TITANIC II: China builds £125m FULL-SIZE Titanic replica – pictures
ATLANTIC & EUROPE
- Putin: Moscow Ready For Cuban Missile-Style Crisis If U.S Looking for One
- Destroyer USS Donald Cook Enters Black Sea for Second Time this Year
- Russian Navy to track US missile destroyer movements in Black Sea
- Despite Putin’s Swagger, Russian Navy Struggles To Modernize
Danish frigate gets underway for deployment with French aircraft carrier
- First (Russian) submarine carrying unmanned vehicles Poseidon to be launched in spring
- RFA Tidesurge welcomed to the fleet
- The U.S. Navy Loves Aircraft Carriers. Why Doesn’t Russia?
- Belgian-Dutch MCM – Imtech Belgium – Damen unveiled its solutions
- Belgian-Dutch MCM – Sea Naval Solutions unveiled its version
- This Super Russian Spy Submarine May Have a Very Special Feature
- Singapore’s Submarine Baptized in Kiel
- This Deadly Russian Warship Is the Closest Think to a Battleship Sailing Today
- Spain and Gibraltar Offer Differing Accounts of Warship Incident
- This Russian Submarine Was a Technological Terror (But Had a Fatal Flaw)
- MBDA offers SPIMM for ‘bolt-on’ ship self-protection
- Russia bans smartphones for soldiers over social media fears
- World’s Largest Offshore Wind Farm Generates First Power
- Police Hit Drug Smuggling Gang on High Seas
- Underwater Bow Thruster Reinstallation
- Sunken Stellar Daisy Located
- Stellar Daisy Voyage Data Recorder Retrieved
- Is Iran Really Building Its Very Own Submarines?
- Why No Nation Would Want to Fight Israel’s Tiny (Nuclear Armed) Navy (Editor – note an extensive two page article)
- About Combined Maritime Forces (CMF)
- Qatar to Buy Up to 60 New LNG Vessels
- Freedom of Navigation in the South China Sea: A Practical Guide(Editor – not a new article but a useful one)
- Propeller makers innovate with methods and materials
- ★ UNTiDy TALES – 2013 70th Anniversary Edition available as a Free digital download. Author Bob Williamson has graciously offered to put the .pdf version of this iconic 424p book into the public domain. It is available from the UNTDA Website but can be viewed/dowloaded directly from the link below:
- It was first issued in 1993 as a 133p book titled “Spindrift” and was expanded and re-issued a number of times, and ultimately renamed, culminating in the current 2013 Edition. One of Bob’s motivations for doing this is to stimulate the submission of more stories. The original book was largely oriented to the 8,000 member pre-Unification UNTD Program, which ended 50 years ago. The premise is that within the post-Unification cadre; ROUTP, NROC, UNTDv2, RESO etc, that have been training NavRes Officer Cadets for the last 50 years, that there would or should be a wealth of similar humorous, instructive and inspiring stories. If sufficient new stories result, the UNTDA will look to issue another Free updated Edition.
SIGNIFICANT RCN DATES
(Trial portion of NAC News. Month by month building a comprehensive list of significant RCN events – if you see any glaring omissions or errors please inform me, and more modern significant dates are welcomed. The list draws from LEGION magazine, and the Directory of History and Heritage’s comprehensive “Significant Dates in Canadian Military History”)
- 1 February 1911 The first recruiting posters for the RCN are issued to post offices throughout Canada.
- 1 February 1968 The personnel and organization of the Royal Canadian Navy, Canadian Army, and the Royal Canadian Air Force were unified into a single organization, the Canadian Forces.
- 5 February 1944 HMS Puncher, an aircraft carrier, is commissioned into the Royal Navy at Vancouver with a Canadian crew, but a British air complement.
- 6 February 1943 HMCS Louisbourg is torpedoed and sunk by enemy aircraft in an attack on a convoy in the Mediterranean Sea.
- 8 February 1943 HMCS Regina sinks the Italian submarine Avorio in the Mediterranean Sea.
- 11 February 1942 HMCS Spikenard is torpedoed and sunk in the North Atlantic.
- 14 February 1945 Five Motor Torpedo Boats of the Canadian 29th Flotilla burn in Ostende harbour.
- 15 February 1965 The Maple Leaf becomes Canada’s official flag.
- 16 February 1945 HMCS Saint John sinks the German submarine U-309 off the northeast coast of Scotland near Moray Firth.
- 18 February 1944 Sixteen Canadian minesweepers, in four divisions of four ships, begin to leave St. John’s for British waters to take part in the invasion of Normandy.
- 19 February 1944 Motor Torpedo boats of the 29th and 65th (Canadian) Flotillas begin to be commissioned (continues until 31 March).
- 22 February 1943 HMCS Weyburn strikes a mine and sinks off Tangier.
- 22 February 1945 HMCS Trentonian is torpedoed and sunk by a German submarine in the English Channel.
- 24 February 1944 HMCS Waskesiu sinks the German submarine U-257 in the North Atlantic.
- 27 February 1930 HMCS Thiepval is lost in Barkley Sound, British Columbia.
- 28 February 1946 HMCS Cornwallis is paid off (taken out of service) and new recruit training begins to be conducted at local naval depots.
- 28 February 1991 Operation Desert Storm, the combat phase of the Persian Gulf War ends.