NAC News – Edition 292
Your weekly national and international naval news for the week of February 15, 2019
Editor NAC News firstname.lastname@example.org(comments welcome to help improve this service)
Contact David Soule email@example.com you wish someone (who may be a member or perhaps a good candidate to join) to be added to the NAC News email distribution.
★ Editor’s stars of the week
Keep in touch with the NAC
If you are receiving NAC News, but are not a member, please consider joining NAC https://www.navalassoc.ca/branches/joining-membership-renewal/
Link to Starshell Magazine https://www.navalassoc.ca/naval-affairs/starshell/
Other Interesting Web Sites https://www.navalassoc.ca/naval-affairs/links/
Archived weekly NAC New Links http://nac-vi.ca/news/
Should you wish to donate – NAC Endowment Fund https://www.navalassoc.ca/national/nac-endowment-fund/
Keep in touch with the RCN
TWITTER @RCN_MRC @Comd_MARPAC @MARPAC @RCN_MARLANT #RCNavy or #MarineRC
YouTube Royal Canadian Navy or Marine royale canadienne
flickr Royal Canadian Navy / Marine royale canadienne
- ★ GoFundMe for Admiral Norman’s Legal Defence – After 12 months2,041 people have contributed $276,516 towards the $500,000 goal https://ca.gofundme.com/51lc5d4 (Editor – abridged new comment from Lee Hammond “Over the past few months Vice-Admiral Norman has been engaged in an intensive and demanding legal battle as he tries to access government documents that he and his lawyers argue are essential to his defence. Beyond just the toll this must be taking on him and his family, this process has been very expensive and the funds we have raised to date have already been exhausted. In recognition of the mounting financial challenges of funding his defence, I have decided to raise our goal to $500,000. Let’s all try and find at least one new supporter so we can double our ranks – and hopefully the funds over the next couple of months!”
- ShipTech Forum 2019 Shaw Centre, Ottawa, ON 5 March 2019
- CADSI Sponsored NAVY Outlook – 2 Apr 2019 at the Shaw Centre Ottawa
- MARITECH Full Speed Ahead: Firing on all cylinders (Call for papers opportunity) Conference and Exhibition, Ottawa ON April 23-25 2019 http://mari-techconference.ca
- 2019 Maritime Gala Ball– Saturday, June 15, 2019 Hilton Lac Leamy Gatineau QC – This event, supported by the Commander of the RCN and the Commissioner of the CCG, will celebrate the many successes of our Canadian Maritime community. This event will commemorate the past, celebrate the present, and confirm their commitment to the future. Tickets will be on sale early March 2019 so mark your calendars.
- NOABC 100th Anniversary Celebration 2-6 Oct 2019 Vancouver BC Conference Venue: BCIT Marine Campus – 265 West Esplanade, North Vancouver. UNTD Dinner in the planning stage. Conference Hotel: The Pinnacle Hotel, North Vancouver – a block booking with room rates ranging from $170 to $190 per night. Details to be confirmed and posted to the NOABC web page shortly. This will also be a NAC Special Meeting event
- HMCS Regina departs for deployment to the Asia-Pacific and Middle East regions
- National Shipbuilding Strategy (NSS) Submarines
- Sailor shortage causing headaches for Royal Canadian Navy
- Mark Norman lawyers protest ‘strategy’ talks between Crown, federal lawyers
- Prosecutors say no political directions in handling of Mark Norman trial
- Cost to taxpayers for Mark Norman prosecution may never be known, already estimated at more than $10M https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/cost-to-taxpayers-for-mark-norman-prosecution-may-never-be-known?video_autoplay=true
- Coast guard’s $227M ships rock ‘like crazy,’ making crews seasick, unable to work
- CANFORGEN 020/19 CMP 010/19 list of General and Flag Officer senior appointments, promotions, and retirements for 2019:
- New Arctic shipping database launched by Arctic Council working group
- The wide range of different occupations in the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF). Browse jobs in each field and apply.
- Anchor, aweigh! Possible historic find for Campbell River diver
- ★ My VAC Account – Get started today https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/e_services
USA & AMERICAS
- Modly: Navy Needs to ‘Radically Change’ How it Operates in New Era of Great Power Competition
- USNI News Fleet and Marine Tracker: Feb. 11, 2019
- Look North to Find the Front Line of North America’s Defense
- Report to Congress on Navy Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense
- Does the U.S. Navy’s Next Super Weapon Have a Fatal Flaw?
- Littoral Combat Ships Headed to SOUTHCOM for Drug Interdiction Patrols This Year
- Navy Proposing Bold Changes in How it Teaches Sailors in New Education Plan
- Report to Congress on Changes in the Arctic
- The deep ocean: Seabed Warfare and the Defence of Underwater Infrastructure, Pt. 2
- ★ Navy Awards Boeing $43 Million to Build Four Orca XLUUVs
- Navy: Ford’s Advanced Arresting Gear Will be Ready for Fleet Super Hornets, Growlers by End of Year
- Navy Captain Sentenced for Role in “Fat Leonard” Scandal
- Last Ditch Effort to Save Falls of Clyde
- India’s submarine rivalry with China in the second nuclear age
- New hot spot boils in the South China Sea
- Two U.S. Guided-Missile Destroyers Conduct FONOP Past Mischief Reef in South China Sea
- Future South China Sea FONOPS Will Include Allies, Partners (Editor – note the list of allies)
- US roams South China Sea as trade talks start
- PLA spokesman urges US to stop provocative actions in South China Sea
- Naval Group inks $36B Submarine Contract
- Defence Minister Christopher Pyne has announced a limited request for tender to establish a deed of standing offer for the provision of Aegis combat system integration support for up to six years. (Editor – Australia)
- Multinational maritime exercise AMAN-19 concludes in Pakistan
- VIDEO: Japan Certifies First Regimental Landing Team in Exercise with U.S. Marines
- China to sell aircraft carrier to Pakistan
- WWII Aircraft Carrier USS Hornet Discovered in Solomon Islands
- MOL Tribute Loads Record 19,100 TEU in Singapore
- R/V Petrel Finds Wreck of First Japanese Battleship Lost in WWII
- One step closer to delivery for future subs (Editor – Australia)
ATLANTIC & EUROPE
- Norway wary of China’s growing presence in Arctic Russia
- HMS Queen Elizabeth meet USS Michael Monsoor in the Atlantic Ocean (Editor – not really news, but great eye candy video) https://youtu.be/7PlTibUfTeU
- Royal Navy Considers Buying New Amphibs
- Watch This Crazy Video: UK F-35s Will Use Strange Rolling Carrier Landings in HMS Queen Elizabeth https://youtu.be/5Nb64PMzSeA
- Royal IHC teams up with Naval Group for Dutch submarine replacement
- HENSOLDT to procure naval radars for German corvettes
- The World’s Most Deadliest Border Crossing Is Shaming Europe, And It’s Getting Worse
- Russia to Decommission World’s Most Remote Nuclear Power Plant
- Fincantieri Floats Out Virgin Voyages’ Scarlet Lady
- Iceland Electric Ferry Powered by ABB
- World First: Printed Hollow Prop Blade
- LNG Bunker Supply Vessel Christened
- Strengthening naval partnerships in the Middle East
- Iran’s Navy Will Embrace a Bold New Doctrine in 2019
- Top US admiral in Middle East warns of growing Iranian threat
- Chernobyl: The end of a three-decade experiment https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47227767
- U.S. Subsea Firm to Commence Search for Missing Stellar Daisy in Remote South Atlantic
- Endurance: Search for Shackleton’s lost ship begins
- Search for Shackleton’s lost Endurance ship called off
- Navy-Funded Scientist Wins Award for Groundbreaking Seafloor Map
- Chinese Navy 2018 | Knowledge Bank https://youtu.be/uouBhJke8S4
- Royal Netherlands Navy 2018 | Knowledge Bank https://youtu.be/anw7qJYlPf0
- Royal Canadian Navy 2018 | Knowledge Bank https://youtu.be/tr3MhCcOizk
- Nuclear Anti-Submarine Rocket: ASROC Weapons System 1963 US Navy Training Film (Editor – for IRE ASW folks) https://youtu.be/vXJQQ5zryik
SIGNIFICANT RCN DATES
(Trial portion of NAC News. Month by month building a comprehensive list of significant RCN events – if you see any glaring omissions or errors please inform me, and more modern significant dates are welcomed. The list draws from LEGION magazine, and the Directory of History and Heritage’s comprehensive “Significant Dates in Canadian Military History”)
- 1 February 1911 The first recruiting posters for the RCN are issued to post offices throughout Canada.
- 1 February 1968 The personnel and organization of the Royal Canadian Navy, Canadian Army, and the Royal Canadian Air Force were unified into a single organization, the Canadian Forces.
- 5 February 1944 HMS Puncher, an aircraft carrier, is commissioned into the Royal Navy at Vancouver with a Canadian crew, but a British air complement.
- 6 February 1943 HMCS Louisbourg is torpedoed and sunk by enemy aircraft in an attack on a convoy in the Mediterranean Sea.
- 8 February 1943 HMCS Regina sinks the Italian submarine Avorio in the Mediterranean Sea.
- 11 February 1942 HMCS Spikenard is torpedoed and sunk in the North Atlantic.
- 14 February 1945 Five Motor Torpedo Boats of the Canadian 29th Flotilla burn in Ostende harbour.
- 15 February 1965 The Maple Leaf becomes Canada’s official flag.
- 16 February 1945 HMCS Saint John sinks the German submarine U-309 off the northeast coast of Scotland near Moray Firth.
- 18 February 1944 Sixteen Canadian minesweepers, in four divisions of four ships, begin to leave St. John’s for British waters to take part in the invasion of Normandy.
- 19 February 1944 Motor Torpedo boats of the 29th and 65th (Canadian) Flotillas begin to be commissioned (continues until 31 March).
- 22 February 1943 HMCS Weyburn strikes a mine and sinks off Tangier.
- 22 February 1945 HMCS Trentonian is torpedoed and sunk by a German submarine in the English Channel.
- 24 February 1944 HMCS Waskesiu sinks the German submarine U-257 in the North Atlantic.
- 27 February 1930 HMCS Thiepval is lost in Barkley Sound, British Columbia.
- 28 February 1946 HMCS Cornwallis is paid off (taken out of service) and new recruit training begins to be conducted at local naval depots.
- 28 February 1991 Operation Desert Storm, the combat phase of the Persian Gulf War ends.