NAC News – Edition K394 HMCS Thorlock
Your weekly national and international naval news for the week of January 29th, 2021
Edition – K394 HMCS Thorlock (WW2 Revised Flower Class)
Rod Hughes – Editor NAC News email@example.com (comments welcome to help improve this service)
Contact David Soule firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish someone (who may be a member or perhaps a good candidate to join) to be added to the NAC News email distribution.
★ Editor’s stars of the week
Keep in touch with the NAC
If you are receiving NAC News consider joining NAC – Membership and Renewal
Archived weekly NAC News Links
Should you wish to donate or leave a memorial – NAC Endowment Fund
NAC reference to assist veterans and/or seniors is located at Veteran’s Corner
Keep in touch with the RCN
Facebook – RoyalCanadianNavy | MarineRoyaleCanadienne;
Twitter – @RoyalCanNavy | @MarineRoyaleCan;
LinkedIn – RoyalCanadianNavy-MarineRoyaleCanadienne
Instagram – RoyalCanNavy | MarineRoyaleCan;
Flickr – RoyalCanadianNavy-MarineRoyaleCanadienne
YouTube – RoyalCanadianNavy | MarineRoyaleCanadienne
Vimeo – RoyalCanadianNavy-MarineRoyaleCanadienne
- US CSIS Maritime Security Dialogue series – U.S. Navy: Setting the Theater in the Arctic. 2 February 2021 at 1000 EST. A discussion with ADM Robert P. Burke, USN Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Europe/Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Africa and Commander, Allied Joint Forces Command Naples
- Bell Let’s Talk 2021 (Editor – 2:08 min video) plus Mental health co-Champions Message – Bell Let’s Talk 2021 (Editor – 3:31 min video) a tough example CAF Story | Hope after trauma – Warrant Officer Joe Kiah’s search for salvation (Editor – the persistent effects of the 1998 Swiss Air crash) and another pertinent 2:27 min video 60 Seconds With Jerry Ryan
- Canada’s new top military commander marks international debut in virtual NATO meeting
- PBO comes under fire as navy worries about watchdog’s report on troubled warship project and Response to guest editorial: NSS Progress and Perspectives (Editor – this is far too complex a project to be dismissed as “burying our heads in the sand”. The public needs to have the PBO report put into perspective, as opposed to just making over simplified comparisons with US warship production)
- HMCS Moncton ready for Operation Caribbe
- HMCS Winnipeg’s Operation Projection & Neon
- Crew SHAKEDOWN! Learn How We Bring a Crew to Sea on a New Ship! – Building the Harry DeWolf Part 7/7 (Editor – 4:40 min video)
- Bumper year for F-35 program (Editor – last edition included an F18 article, this week the F35 another of the competitors Canada is looking at. The F35 is now a proven aircraft)
- Strategic Partners Create Canada’s Maritime Cyber Security Centre of Excellence
- John Horgan: Future of Canada’s shipbuilding industry must focus on B.C.
- Lt(N) Camille Hamm: RCN career provides universal life skills
- Veterans face increasing wait times for mental-health support at government clinics
- Commander of reserve unit being probed for far-right activity is being replaced Editor – the Rangers do good work Defence Team News – 22 January 2021)
- The Loss of HMCS Fraser – The Bizarre Story of the Allied Destroyer That Was Shorn in Two
- The SS Valencia wrecks on Vancouver Island with a loss of 136 lives on January 22, 1906.
USA & AMERICAS
- USNI News Fleet and Marine Tracker: Jan. 25, 2021
- Ticonderoga and the Shield of the Fleet #Shorts (Editor – 57 sec video)
- What if a Pair of B-52 Bombers Hunt Down and sink a Warship (Editor – 9:09 min video)
- The Navy is concentrating its amphibious ships in Hampton Roads — but moving some destroyers to Florida
- General Dynamics CEO Says Electric Boat Ready To Meet ‘Increased Demand’ for Submarines
- The Haze Gray Zone: Great Power Competition at Sea
- Proceedings Podcast Episode 204 – Surface Force Master Chief Update (Editor – 35:20 min video)
- Latest Surface Navy Sleep Policy Aims for Better-Rested, More Alert, Healthier Crews
- New Acoustic Research Makes it Harder for Drone Subs to Hide
- U.S. Coast Guard, Russian Border Guard Patrolled Maritime Boundary Line
- Polar Security Cutters Will Face an Evolving Arctic
- US Navy eyes future targeting capability for Triton UAS
- Virtual tour of Naval Station Norfolk (Editor – explanatory and impressive 7:32 min video)
- US Coast Guard cutter arrives in South Atlantic for rare deployment
- America Has a GPS Problem
- Lawyer: Destroyer CO Removed for Making Plaque from Seized Weapon
- Venezuelan Navy Detains Guyanese Fishermen in Guyanese EEZ
- Vard Marine from Canada to develop design of new multipurpose transport vessel for Chilean Navy
- Maersk Essen Re-Routes to Mexico After Losing 750 Containers Overboard (Editor – wow, note the sea container loss graph in the article)
- Anchored Containerships Off Los Angeles/Long Beach Flee Winter Storm
- China warns Taiwan independence ‘means war’ as US pledges support
- ★ China Authorizes Coast Guard to Fire on Foreign Vessels if Needed (Editor – now this is provocative: I wonder how mature their ROE are?)
- Canada joins Quad joint naval exercise in Pacific Ocean
- Chinese Navy Faces Overseas Basing Weakness, Report Says
- U.S. Admiral: China Can ‘Keep Pouring Money’ Into Anti-Ship Ballistic Missiles
- Chinese Foreign Ministry: U.S. South China Sea Movements Do ‘No Good’ for Region and USS Theodore Roosevelt carrier strike group moves into South China Sea – China cries foul! (Editor – 10:34 min video)
- U.S. Navy Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group Enters South China Sea
- U.S. Navy Destroyer USS John S. McCain Conducts Freedom of Navigation Operation Near Vietnam
- Australia To Procure Long Range Anti-Ship And Land Attack Cruise Missiles
- Philippine Navy to start upgrade of its three Del Pilar-class frigates
- Philippines Pushes Back on China’s New Coast Guard Law
- HHI Delivers 2nd Jose Rizal-Class Frigate to Philippine Navy Ahead of Schedule
- Royal Malaysian Navy to Receive 3 Leonardo AW139 Helicopters
- Australian navy’s unmanned MCM development picks up pace
- Defence to invest $1bn in new long-range missile capability
- Iranian VLCC Busted for STS Transfer Off Indonesia and Iran asks Indonesia to explain seizure of tanker accused of illegal oil transfer and No China-Iran sanctions-busting allowed in Indonesia
- ★ Asian Shipbreakers Await Unemployed VLCCs Amid ‘Attractive’ Scrap Values (Editor – all sorts of implications here)
- Frozen Fish Pileup in China Ripples Across Global Supply Chain
- ★ Bow added to new Type 26 Frigate HMS Glasgow
- Carriers could host 24 F-35s by 2023 ‘in national emergency’ and HMS Queen Elizabeth is the Royal Navy’s New Fleet Flagship plus HMS Queen Elizabeth: All You Need To Know About The Aircraft Carrier
- Turkey Launches The Lead Ship Of I-Class Frigates “Istanbul”
- Greece Will Need To Upgrade Its Navy To Keep Up With Turkey’s
- All French CSG Sailors to Be Vaccinated To Avoid COVID-19 Outbreak Repeat
- Two U.S. Navy Ships Now Operating with NATO in the Black Sea and Russia’s Black Sea Fleet tracks movements of USS Donald Cook destroyer in Black Sea
- Spanish Harrier jets ‘attack’ NATO warships
- ★ Russia’s Poseidon Nuclear Torpedo Base to Be Ready by Summer 2022 and Is this Russia’s new coastal base for the ‘doomsday nuke’ drones?
- Turkish navy has successfully test-launched new AKYA torpedo from TCG Gür S-357 submarine
- BAE Systems gets £230 million contract to upgrade Royal Navy torpedoes
- Rheinmetall and MBDA win contract for high-energy laser system
- France and Italy Agree to End Proposed Fincantieri-Chantiers Merger
- Royal Navy’s First Uncrewed Minesweeper is under Development (Editor – 4 min video included)
- Russian Pipelaying Vessels En Route to Nord Stream 2 Work Site and Nord Stream 2 Pipelay Operations Resume
- ★ Canada takes Command of Multinational Counter-Terrorism Naval Task Force (Editor – Canada has two Commodores leading multi-nation forces CTF150 & SNMG1)
- Iranian Commander Says Country Has Amassed Enough Missile Firepower to Eliminate Any US Threat
US and Saudi Arabian navies begin maritime exercise Naval Defender 21
- Russian warship visits Algeria
- French frigate seizes 444 kg of narcotics in the Mozambique Channel
- Global Companies Sign Declaration on Seafarer Welfare and Crew Change
- Shipping’s Container Crunch Showing Signs of Easing
- One Killed, 15 Abducted in Gulf of Guinea Pirate Attack and Pirates Who Kidnapped Turkish Sailors Make Contact to Talk Ransom
- Russian Fishing Controversy Shows Antarctic’s Governance Shortfall
- The Royal Canadian Navy – Sinking you, but politely (Editor – great pics in this history of the early RCN in this 37:49 min video)
- The Architecture of Dreadnoughts – Blueprints of Success (Editor – historical but really timeless explanation of opposing requirements of warship design in this 53:37 min video)
SIGNIFICANT RCN DATES – FEBRUARY
(If you see any omissions or errors please inform me, and more modern significant dates are also welcome. The list draws primarily from the Directory of History and Heritage’s comprehensive “Significant Dates in Canadian Military History”, the now defunct “Canada Channel”, “Legion Magazine”, Roger Litwiller’s excellent website, the encyclopedic guidance of NAC member and author Fraser McKee, and anywhere else I can find credible information.)
- 1 February 1911 The first recruiting posters for the RCN are issued to post offices throughout Canada.
- 1 February 1968 The personnel and organization of the RCN, Canadian Army, and the Royal Canadian Air Force were unified into a single organization, the Canadian Forces.
- 5 February 1944 HMS Puncher, an aircraft carrier, is commissioned into the Royal Navy at Vancouver with a Canadian crew, but a British air complement.
- 6 February 6, 1943 – Italian aircraft attack and sink RCN Flower Class corvette HMCS Louisbourg east of Oran while she is escorting a convoy from Gibraltar to Bone, Algeria; 2 Officers, 35 crew, and 5 RN seaman are lost.
- 8 February 1943 HMCS Regina commanded by LCdr Harry Freeland, RCNR sinks the Italian submarine Avorio in the Mediterranean Sea.
- 10 February 1942 HMCS Spikenard is torpedoed by U136 and sunk in the North Atlantic. There were only 8 survivors and 57 perish.
- 14 February 1945 Five Motor Torpedo Boats (459, 461, 462, 465, 466) of the Canadian 29th Flotilla burn in Ostende harbour. 26 RCN crew are lost.
- 15 February 1965 The Maple Leaf becomes Canada’s official flag.
- 16 February 1945 HMCS St. John commanded by A/LCdr William R. Stacey, RCNR sinks the German submarine U-309 off the northeast coast of Scotland near Moray Firth.
- 18 February 1944 Sixteen Canadian minesweepers, in four divisions of four ships, begin to leave St. John’s for British waters to take part in the invasion of Normandy.
- 19 February 1944 Motor Torpedo boats of the 29th and 65th (Canadian) Flotillas began to be commissioned (continues until 31 March).
- 22 February 1943 – Operation Torch – RCN Flower Class corvette HMCS Weyburn strikes a mine laid by U-118 off the Strait of Gibraltar; the explosion kills one seaman of her crew of 77; before the ship sinks, all but two depth charges are rendered safe by throwing the detonators over the side; British destroyer HMS Wivern starts to remove the wounded and survivors when twenty minutes later an after bulkhead gives way and the corvette begins to sink; the two depth charges explode, killing 8 more sailors and wounding others in the water; Wivern’s engines and boilers are hit, leaving the ship dead in the water; 84 RCN and RN sailors are wounded in total. Gibraltar.
- 22 February 1945 HMCS Trentonian is torpedoed and sunk by a German submarine U1004 near Falmouth England, six of her ship’s company were lost.
- 24 February 1944 HMCS Waskesiu commanded by LCdr James P. Fraser, RCNR sank the German submarine U-257 in the North Atlantic.
- 27 February 1930 HMCS Thiepval is lost in Barkley Sound, British Columbia.
- 28 February 1946 HMCS Cornwallis is paid off (taken out of service) and new recruit training begins to be conducted at local naval depots.
- 28 February 1991 Operation Desert Storm, the combat phase of the Persian Gulf War ends.